• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am fed up with cotton dress shirts in the London summer

jellofountain

Reaction score
Hello. I used to be a Charles Tyrwhitt man through and through before I developed an interest in menswear. They were always too hot in the summer so I graduated to better quality need-to-iron shirts made from higher quality cotton fabrics. The problem I seem to have is no matter what weave or how high the quality of cotton, I am still soaked with sweat after getting off the tube. I purchased some, linen, linen/cotton and tencel/cotton blend shirts and all of these seem to perform better in the humidity and don't cling to my skin. What material combination do you like best and what is empirically the most breathable?

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
Well I never wear them (though I probably should given I live in Florida) but 100% linen shirts are empirically always the most breathable. Definitely better than cotton.

wegimental

Reaction score
I experienced London in August 2003, visiting for most of that month. It rivaled Atlanta and Charleston in the USA as far as actual heat and humidity. That year London held the UK record for heat until recently. I now live in the Washington DC area which is also - shall we say -less than comfortable. I vote, with the boldest stroke possible, for linen. It is worth every moment or money spent getting it pressed and yes one wearing and you need another but still worth it. I wear linen with my seersucker suit and Spectators and remain as comfortable as one can.

rjc149

Reaction score
Being uncomfortable and sweating while wearing dress clothes in hot weather is just something I've accepted as part of wearing dress clothes. If it's hot out, you're going to sweat. No weave or fabric is going to prevent that.

I wear Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts in the NYC subway, and not to tit-for-tat, but we're talking 120 degrees F in the summer on those platforms. Hot enough to be a public health hazard. I just accept that it's going to be highly unpleasant for a brief spell and will be immediately relieved once I step into an air-conditioned subway car.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cotton can be a problem-- and the better the quality, the worse it gets. The last thing you want in heat and humidity is a silky-smooth 200s fabric trapping moisture. You will get soaked in no time, and quite miserable. London's humidity is surprisingly toxic, as it will ruin your clothes at almost anything over 72 degrees Fahrenheit. The thermometer says one thing, but the heat index will tell another story.

If you do cotton, look for more porous and less sheer varieties. 3-ply is one option, and seersucker can be surprisingly good. Some books use "zephir" as part of their name.

Otherwise, linen is the key. Blends with linen and cotton can offer either the best of both fibers or the worst. See what you think. Beyond that, Irish linen will make you happiest, if you like the look.

wegimental

Reaction score
It is also documented that the Guards of King George the III in London, when asked for any volunteers to go to the American colonies in June 1776, filled the levy overnight. The primary reason according to letters and diaries was to escape London's summer. Imagine the treat they got when they arrived in New York in August 1776! But maybe not so bad for as long as they stayed near the harbor.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Skyscrapers and asphalt were less of a problem in those days. It would be interesting to see what temperatures got recorded then.

notdos

Reaction score
I live in the Southeastern US where heat and high humidity are the rule. I’ve found that wearing a cotton undershirt really helps to wick moisture which helps with evaporational cooling.

Phillip

grippybananas

Reaction score
In Singapore here, I prefer sticking to cotton. I don't really like wrinkling of linen.

To avoid sweat stains on my back, Ive an airism undershirt from uniqlo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads