• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you wear this Beige Linen Suit?

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for outfit/ideas with this Beige Linen Suit for my upcoming wedding. I was not going to wear a tie but the fiance insisted that I wear one. My initial plan was going for a white shirt and white sneakers but that idea was rejected by the higher ups right way.

I don't usually or almost never wear a tie so bear with me. What should my tie/shirt/pockets quare combo should I go for? Oh and the shoes.. I never owned and worn a loafer in my life. Is loafer my only alternative for this suit?

MattyS

Reaction score
That is more white (or off white) than beige. Loafers would definitely look great, especially if you want to go sockless. But if you're not getting married on the beach -- and since you'll be wearing a tie -- I'd probably stick with socks. Another shoe option would be something woven, like the Allen Edmonds Strand Weave, which I think would work well.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for outfit/ideas with this Beige Linen Suit for my upcoming wedding. I was not going to wear a tie but the fiance insisted that I wear one. My initial plan was going for a white shirt and white sneakers but that idea was rejected by the higher ups right way.

I don't usually or almost never wear a tie so bear with me. What should my tie/shirt/pockets quare combo should I go for? Oh and the shoes.. I never owned and worn a loafer in my life. Is loafer my only alternative for this suit?

Did you buy that suit already?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, where do you live? For the price of an OTR Cucinelli you can just about get a full bespoke suit. I typically buy Cucinelli knitwear when I’m feeling flush, but not suits or jackets, for that reason. But maybe you don’t live near any bespoke tailors or their trunk-show itineraries.

Keep in mind that linen wrinkles the minute you put it on, especially the more lightweight Italian weaves which that probably is. You will not look as perfectly pressed as that model when you walk down the aisle. By the time of the cake cutting, you will look like you’re wearing pajamas. And you may be fine with that, don’t get me wrong. It’s just good to know.

Second, unless you meant to write fiancée, this is a gay wedding. If your fiancé is wearing a tie then I recommend you do the same. Or you could both go tieless. Your pocket square should pick up on a color in the tie (or socks) but not match it.

Third, with or without ties I would not wear sneakers to a wedding. My own wedding or someone else’s. They look un-serious—and not in a good way, by which I mean everyone owns them so they’re nothing “special.” If you want a playful look that still reflects the significance of the day, I would go for woven brown leather derbies or oxfords, or brown-and-tan spectators. Either would suggest you’re having fun on this day without looking like you just pulled something out of your closet.

Loafers, to me, aren’t special enough for the occasion although certainly more versatile after the wedding. But if you’re dropping $4k on a suit, some elegant lace-up shoes shouldn’t be a stretch. Good luck.

Last edited:

jc8715

Reaction score
I think your partner is right about the shirt. White won't offer much contrast. The good thing about that suit is nearly any light summer color should work. I'd prefer pale blue but that's just my taste. It is almost always a conservative choice.

The other thing about linen is it is matte, so a tie meant for a worsted business suit will look a bit off. You will want something matte as well.

I would personally like the spectators as mentioned above or just a wingtip in one color.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
I think your partner is right about the shirt. White won't offer much contrast. The good thing about that suit is nearly any light summer color should work. I'd prefer pale blue but that's just my taste. It is almost always a conservative choice.

The other thing about linen is it is matte, so a tie meant for a worsted business suit will look a bit off. You will want something matte as well.

I would personally like the spectators as mentioned above or just a wingtip in one color.
I am definitely being lazy for just picking a white shirt and sneakers. The light blue shirt looks very sophisticated.

My issue now is that is what shoe would I wear as I don't have a lot of option. I only own a black and brown chelsea and a black oxford.

Attachments

• beige-suit-white-shirt-blue-tie-color-combination.jpg
    beige-suit-white-shirt-blue-tie-color-combination.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 857

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
First, where do you live? For the price of an OTR Cucinelli you can just about get a full bespoke suit. I typically buy Cucinelli knitwear when I’m feeling flush, but not suits or jackets, for that reason. But maybe you don’t live near any bespoke tailors or their trunk-show itineraries.

Keep in mind that linen wrinkles the minute you put it on, especially the more lightweight Italian weaves which that probably is. You will not look as perfectly pressed as that model when you walk down the aisle. By the time of the cake cutting, you will look like you’re wearing pajamas. And you may be fine with that, don’t get me wrong. It’s just good to know.

Second, unless you meant to write fiancée, this is a gay wedding. If your fiancé is wearing a tie then I recommend you do the same. Or you could both go tieless. Your pocket square should pick up on a color in the tie (or socks) but not match it.

Third, with or without ties I would not wear sneakers to a wedding. My own wedding or someone else’s. They look un-serious—and not in a good way, by which I mean everyone owns them so they’re nothing “special.” If you want a playful look that still reflects the significance of the day, I would go for woven brown leather derbies or oxfords, or brown-and-tan spectators. Either would suggest you’re having fun on this day without looking like you just pulled something out of your closet.

Loafers, to me, aren’t special enough for the occasion although certainly more versatile after the wedding. But if you’re dropping $4k on a suit, some elegant lace-up shoes shouldn’t be a stretch. Good luck.
Thank you for this very constructive advice. I'd definitely be kicking myself when I look back 10 years from now seeing that white sneakers.

I meant future bride sorry. I don't see myself wearing a spectator or a woven oxford but will there be any color or type of shoe I can wear with this suit that I can wear for business/work as well? I'm thinking of getting a brown or dark brown derbies/oxford.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this very constructive advice. I'd definitely be kicking myself when I look back 10 years from now seeing that white sneakers.

I meant future bride sorry. I don't see myself wearing a spectator or a woven oxford but will there be any color or type of shoe I can wear with this suit that I can wear for business/work as well? I'm thinking of getting a brown or dark brown derbies/oxford.
Sure you could wear brown wingtip perf toe oxfords or derbies. Or suede. Those could work in business wear, if not in courtrooms or on a bond trading floor. Take a look at the IG page of Akamine Yukio for inspiration on brown shoes with lighter trousers.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make the dark blue tie not standard silk, and that's good enough (not too business-like). For example, a silk-cotton blend. A knit probably is too casual. Or go with loafers instead of the oxfords. Location would help determine which specifics are better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads