• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Wear a White OCBD

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
This thread is directed at sport coat, sans tie, and is certainly not directed at the more senior members of the forum, and I'll probably catch hell for it, but whatever. Many of the same principles apply to a suit and white shirt sans tie, but that isn't my focus here. It's intended to show that a white shirt can be properly utilized as an every day go to, contrary to much thinking here, given certain considerations are taken and principles adhered, and a casual context. This thread was, of course, inspired by Manton's wonderful How to Wear a White Shirt thread. For the proper ways to wear a white spread collar shirt with a tie, search there.

First off, the reason this is about going tie-less (but never, ever without a jacket) is that, as has been demonstrated in the aforementioned Manton thread, a white shirt is of, and really can only be so far removed from the context of, the city/formal spectrum. I don't intend to rehash his OP in that thread, but a key point is that a white shirt outside of a suit really only works with a blazer and greys, preferably at night, and in the daytime is 'rarely optimal'. I still hold contention with the 'rarely optimal' bit, as I think context and preference has as lot to do with that - but that's another discussion that's been hashed out in that thread.

So then, since it does work: why? Well, pure white only looks at its best with blue and grey; this should be self-evident, and although white is at its absolute best at night, it still works in the day provided it doesn't wash you out completely (get a tan). Further, a blazer is often more optimal with white than odd jackets as the majority of odd jackets are of the 'country' spectrum that do not resolve to a solid up close. That said, there are many odd jackets - that are really more 'sportcoat' than 'odd jacket' - that fit into the 'city/formal' spectrum, at least loosely, in that they fit this criteria: they are in traditional colors such as blues and navies (easily found) and greys (not as easily found, but not all that difficult either); they have limited, small scale pattern and texture so as to resolve to a solid except up close; they do not have aggressively casual details, although side patch pockets are IMO more than acceptable, and, perhaps optimal. These types of sport coats aren't as common as heavily patterned/countrified ones, so that's another limiting factor. Taking all that into consideration however, an OCBD can be right at home with non-blazer sport coats within the blue/grey spectrum.

Let's take the blazer and greys and see how far we can rusticate it into the 'country/casual' spectrum before it falls apart. The first step is, of course, removing the tie.

When you remove the tie you do several things: you instantly in-formalize the fit, most obviously, but you also remove some of the inherent barriers to a coherent look with a white shirt and odd jacket. For instance, you open up your collar choices in a different way: many prefer to go tie-less with various spreads and cutaways, but I personally think this (always) looks horrendous and a proper tie-less shirt should have a button down collar. Hence the thread title. Also in reference to the thread title, you open up your fabric/texture options, which do not necessarily have to be of an oxford weave; that said, broadcloths, royal oxfords, twills and even end-on-ends are rarely optimal for this look, whereas the oxford weave shines. For spring/summer, you have pinpoint oxford; for fall/winter, you have heavy oxford cloth. The texture of the fabric rusticates the look for you. I'm not ruling out other fabrics - linen blends provide the same function in summer, for instance, and probably better - but I think OC (oxford cloth, if you haven't picked it up by now; the BD is for button-down) is probably the simplest choice.

Collar proportions are up to you, but I prefer a tall banded, high collar with extremely stiff fused interlining. Softer rolls are great for an even more casual look, but when you're already limiting yourself to white, I think a tall stiff collar complements the balance you're trying to achieve, which is a rustication of a tie-less city look; that said, that really is a matter of preference, and I can very much understand an adherence to soft roll button down collars in this context as well. My preference is probably not to be recommended as optimal, but to be admitted in the spirit of transparency and to show that you do have options in how far you can take it.

Spring/summer examples: light grey cotton jacket, white shirt, mid-blue or even stone/tan (not too dark as to be khaki and invoke earth tones that can clash with the pure white) cotton or linen trousers and tan shoes/leathers - check. Lighter than navy (air force blue, and the like) blue linen jackets, light grey trousers or stone cotton/linen trousers, tan leathers - check. Vary the fabrics (always textured and casual - linen/wool, linen/silk, pure linen, cotton, blends of any of the above), weaves and color tones and basically anything within that spectrum works. Further, in the summer tan/cream linen comes into play, which, when chosen carefully so as to maintain contrast to the shirt, can look great with the white OCBD. This is the only time anything in the brown spectrum works well with pure white.

Fall/winter: any shade of dark blue or navy sportcoat that doesn't have aforementioned competing patterns or most certainly not ones with earth tones in the fabric. Add grey flannels, dark brown leathers, and you're good to go. Grey odd jackets are less common, but I own several, none of which would be mistaken for suit jackets - flannels, wool cashmeres, etc - and they can work very well here with the white shirt. Dark gray jacket = light gray trousers, and vice versa. If you're feeling adventurous, the dreaded navy odd trousers can look good with a light grey sport coat. More common are tweedy (or straight up tweed) jackets in greyed blues, or blued greys. These work just as well.

At this point you may be asking, why would I even want to wear a white OCBD as a regular go-to? Well, maybe you don't. If you do enjoy wearing them, as I do, the reasons are as follows: it can give off a nonchalance that is unparalleled by other shirts; maybe it flatters your skin tone (if not, get a tan and problem solved); it looks both exceedingly professional and casual at the same time, and, most importantly, is, in my mind, a perfect look for when you'd maybe, really like to wear a smart city suit and white shirt rig every day, but your work and social contexts demand you dial the whole ensemble back, but you still want to maintain that crisp effortless purity that the white shirt and only the white shirt is capable of presenting.

This pretty much demands a plain white linen square. As it is a casual version of the look, brown leathers are preferable, although I would go darker in the browns as the time of day and seasons progress, of course.

Oh, and it should go without saying that this also pretty much demands barrel cuffs. That said - all mine are double which I wear with white silk knots
devil.gif

This is intended as classic menswear discussion, but there is a streetwear element that was pointed out to me by another member and is worthy of note: the white shirt is almost crucial to many 'urban' fashions. Black on white, which of course those of the menswear persuasion will avoid, is a scheme used time and again in that realm; an example pointed out to me was Andy Warhol. I'll add one other example, from the menswear world, although strictly from the black city suit look: Tom Ford. Upon reflection, I suppose I could have titled this thread 'How to Rusticate the Tom Ford Look.' But let's not limit ourselves to that kind of thinking - this is about OCBD's, utilized in a different manner than the traditional.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Since posting this and experimenting with the white shirt only bit, it's become rather clear to me that that there's one sacrifice that needs be made for this look to work well: tan leathers (shoes, belts, watch bands, briefcases, etc). I've tried every way I can think to integrate them during this last few bits of hot weather here, but it ultimately seems to fail because IMO tan leathers necessitate either a) brown-spectrum pants or b) light grey trousers.

Of course, in spring/summer browns spectrum trousers would be khakis or stone/cream trousers; khakis don't work due to the earth tone/white color imbalance (pure white + anything earth tone rarely looks good, if ever) and stone trousers, which are the obvious choice, simply don't provide enough contrast with the pure white shirt. Further, for grey trousers to properly work (again, IMO) with spring/summer looks and tan shoes, they really need to be light grey, not mid-to-dark. This, of course, works just fine - but leaves you wearing blue spectrum sport coats (I'd say blazers, but navy is too dark for spring/summer casual wear - again, IMO) because grey sport coats - which while harder to find and, if made, be made correctly (as non suit-y as possible; patch pockets, mid-light to light grey in S/S) just don't work with light grey trousers, again due to contrast. If you're okay with wearing nothing but blue spectrum jackets, more power to you, but I prefer mixing in light greys and blue/greys for variety.

Obviously this isn't a concern if you're the type to wear tan shoes etc with mid-grey trousers or dark blue/navy trou, which I know some enjoy, but I personally can't abide as it draws too much attention away from the face and towards the accessories. One great benefit of the white shirt only look (certainly not restricted to it, do not confuse me) is how well it draws attention away from the clothes and towards your you, which is, of course, the ultimate goal of dressing well.

Solution? Warm-toned dark brown leathers, as opposed to say, the deeper, chocolate type, mixed with light grey trou and mid-dark but nowhere near navy trousers.

I'm aware this post has generated no conversation, but as I've posted my thoughts on the subject already, I figured I'd go ahead and add this consideration. Now, what to do with the plethora of tan leathers I own...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't you over-thinking this clothing business way too much? I mean, I'll rock a white OCBD (yes, even with a soft collar) with a pair of British khakis, and I like to fancy I look pretty damn good. (I do usually have a good tan.) Back when I was a young thing, lots of men rocked white shirts, sans jacket, with all manner of trousers and looked pretty good...at least so we thought.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
If StyleForum isn't the place to overthink clothing, I don't know where is.

British khaki seems too dark for tan leathers for me, although it probably isn't too dark on the brown spectrum for white shirts. I was mostly referencing light khaki to stone trousers. Then again, I may have just not found the right shade to work with tan leathers for me personally; a lot of people seem to have less issues with that but they really have to be just so for me in order to not draw too much attention to the shoes and away from the face.

More experimentation is needed.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thread fail....with or without pictures.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
^ what a thoughtful and provoking reply.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Thread fail....with or without pictures.
I second this...

Okay, why exactly might I ask? Because of the recommendation of a tall, stiff fused collar? Because of the discussion of tan leathers being a possible issue? Or just because of a fundamental opposition to the very idea of wearing a white OCBD in such a manner as described?

It'd be nice if this could actually provoke some discussion, like in the StyleForum days of old, which was my original intent. I'm all for disagreement, but would certainly like to know why.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]Okay, why exactly might I ask?[/COLOR] Because of the recommendation of a tall, stiff fused collar? Because of the discussion of tan leathers being a possible issue? Or just because of a fundamental opposition to the very idea of wearing a white OCBD in such a manner as described?

It'd be nice if this could actually provoke some discussion, like in the StyleForum days of old, which was my original intent. I'm all for disagreement, but would certainly like to know why.

First...people will be hard pressed to read all that you wrote WITHOUT pictures. You started this thread 3 weeks ago and there are 9 posts(including this one.) 5 are yours!

If you don't present a visual for people to know that you know what you are talking about, they damm sure won't read your soliloquy.

Hence....thread fail.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Jesus, I figured people could understand what I was talking about without needing photos - it's not exactly complicated. I didn't know the SF attention span was so low these days and members had such a desperate need for photos to jerk off to (other than Dumb Threads, of course).

I'm not in the business of taking photos of myself, so I guess I fail at StyleForum. Oh well, I tried.
musicboohoo[1].gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Second.....(I was not finished)....your initial 2 posts were WAAAAAYYYY too long.

Compare this thread to the one below(that as started 2 days ago. The 2nd post has pictures. That is how you generate discussion Not by posting a LONG diatribe and expecting people to read it. (FYI, I didn't.)

See this thread as an example:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/428478/the-grad-lounge

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jesus, I figured people could understand what I was talking about without needing photos - it's not exactly complicated.[COLOR=FF00AA] I didn't know the SF attention span was so low these days and members had such a desperate need for photos to jerk off to (other than Dumb Threads, of course).[/COLOR]

I'm not in the business of taking photos of myself, so I guess I fail at StyleForum. Oh well, I tried. 
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

And no need to knock members just because your ****** thread has failed!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear white shirts, oxfords with spread and BD collars, all the time without a tie and with tan jackets. My wife loves that look on me. It works for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads