• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to wear a short sleeve button down shirt??

dropbeats

Reaction score
hey guys quick question

how do i weara button down shirt that is short sleeve? im talking about some of the black fleece shirts that were being sold here
sounds like im not supposed to wear them under a jacket or with a tie...maybe just some pants? can you wear them with dress pants? thanks

pendragon

Reaction score
I would strongly advise you to wear them with pants. (The whole short-sleeve/underpants thing, just doesn't cut it.)

The rest is negotiable. It would be a little odd to wear short sleeves under a suit jacket, but a casual summer jacket might be okay. The tie is again a little formal for an informal shirt, but I'll bet they do it in hot climes. The FBI guy investigating John Grisham in Mississippi look...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
untucked, with slim trousers and good pair of casual shoes (not sneakers).

dropbeats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modernist
Check for photos of GetSmart in the WAYWT threads both here and in SW&D. He posts photos wearing one often.

all right hopefully i can figure ot how to use the search for that its a long thread

Originally Posted by acidicboy
untucked, with slim trousers and good pair of casual shoes (not sneakers).

cool thanks, i was going to tuck them in

Closer

Reaction score
Homer Simpson pulls this off quite well. Seriously, The recco for untucked and casual shoes is best. It is a casual look not a business look.

FiniteCircle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
The tie is again a little formal for an informal shirt, but I'll bet they do it in hot climes. The FBI guy investigating John Grisham in Mississippi look...

Or NASA during Apollo:

114679main_gallery_mcc7_med.jpg

I do this every once and a while when it gets hot (Texas) coupled with a tie bar and a non-black tie. The key is to not look like you are a member of the geek squad.

JaPo

Reaction score
I'm all for it.

But for God's sake, please make sure the sleeves are relatively hugging and do not balloon a few feet out. No-one wants to look like a 54 year-old beer-swilling tourist wearing his 'smarts' for a night out in Magaluf. Yum, japanese dragon designs.

Trousers preferably slim, to ensure the corect proportions. As another member mentioned, a tie could also work. Suede shoes. If you're going to wear it untucked, better get one with a square-cut finish at the bottom.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your young wear it with a cotton sports jacket with the jacket sleeves rolled up as if it were a shirt. Casual and youthful.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
If your young wear it with a cotton sports jacket with the jacket sleeves rolled up as if it were a shirt. Casual and youthful.
05.jpg

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel

miamivice.jpg

I'm just saying.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Like this.

image021.jpg

Or with a thin black tie and possibly a hat of sorts? (e.g. a bowler) I don't think you can wear one stylishly as opposed to fashionably, though. It'll always be a "look" or a "costume".

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For chill days I use my short sleeve shirts under a sweater because they dont mess with the sweater sleeves. If you put a blazer or sportcoat over, they look just like long sleeve ones.

When I use them alone (very sunny days), I use'em like any polo shirt (and the fit should be similar, slim in body and sleeves). No ties. Tucking optional depending of the hem. In the case of the BF, I think tucking is mandatory...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads