• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to spend 5k on suit? Help me-

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you wait and get some suits made in SK? Seems like you wont need them right away and your build is definitely going to change when you get out of the army.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kong1801
yeah well most guys in korea do their mand. service as PVT for 1yr and 10 month within their barrack and base but some can apply to be an officer and serve 3yrs full. and most intel officers work in and out of base.

I'm thinking your size maybe hard to come by in alot of makers OTR.

WW Chan will cost you at least $1200 per suit but you could probably get 3-4 suits depending on fabric.

If you can buy fabric at a good price and can go to HK, I'd go Peter Lee or Gordon Yao

Robbish

Reaction score
Well im about the same height and weight so I've thought about this a lot. 5K is more then enough money, but shopping for a 36s is hard, I've never done MTM, I would suggest going simple and classic as at our size its hard to replace/ buy good pieces on a whim without a tremendous amount of money.

I personally like the Mackintosh trench. a bit less obvious and at that price the same if not higher quality.

this one is pretty classic, albeit I'd prefer a camel colour

http://www.mackintosh-uk.com/collect...itemdetail/152

You might want to try japanese versions if you are looking for size, when you shop. i've been told that works.

also spend some of that money on a pair of good black cap toe oxfords and brown dress shoes. Your shoes can make any suit look better.

not my favorite but the newer burberry suit line does make 36s that are more then descent

R

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really think that brooks brothers is the way to go, all around. get yourself at least one solid gray and one solid navy, two button jacket, flat front trouser, suits that fit well and are tailored close to the body. check out the fitzgerald suits, I suspect you'll like the cut of that model.

Watch this gq video, I think it will be of help-- maybe make a few mental notes of the tips.

good luck with your search, but again-- go with Brooks Brothers, you'll thank us later.

Originally Posted by Macallan
If you want a trench, get a trench; however, at this stage of your life do not spend $1.5k on trench. This Brooks Brothers option is available for $320, http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Khaki.

kong1801

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Why don't you wait and get some suits made in SK? Seems like you wont need them right away and your build is definitely going to change when you get out of the army.

Its just that I do need a suit for graduation and job interviews for OPT and grad school. Although I can always opt out to do military service, I do definitely need at least one now. I read the post earlier and am thinking of getting a suit in korea as well. Thanks for the info!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get one of the basics for now and wait.... patience is a virtue with high quality clothes. There is no need to drop 5k on everything at once. Slowly build and enjoy the ride.

kong1801

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I'm thinking your size maybe hard to come by in alot of makers OTR.

WW Chan will cost you at least $1200 per suit but you could probably get 3-4 suits depending on fabric.

If you can buy fabric at a good price and can go to HK, I'd go Peter Lee or Gordon Yao

Thanks I thought I would try WW Chan when I visit HK in June. is it worth it? I read some of your thread about WW Chan and seems pretty nice and well made

kong1801

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Just get one of the basics for now and wait.... patience is a virtue with high quality clothes. There is no need to drop 5k on everything at once. Slowly build and enjoy the ride.

Bucheon. 부천? I am just giving myself a graduation gift. Tired of saving and investing, checking Kospi every 2 mins. haha. anyhow thanks for the advice. basic basic for now.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you actually need a suit or trench coat? I prefer to buy on a need basis. With a spare 5K and nothing immediately essential to spend it on, just go out to a department store, pick up a reasonable off the rack suit for under 1K, and spend the rest of the money on a nice custom rifle (its good to have hobbies outside of clothes).

As for trench coat, it does not have to be Burberry. Go to Jcrew outlet and get a reasonable one for under $200. Why go for best of the best stuff at this stage (besides if you got cash burning in the wallet, you can do better than Burberry)?

Wait till later for that, there is no hurry to dress like an Italian Mob Boss or Queen of England going through a tomboy phase.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kong1801
Thanks I thought I would try WW Chan when I visit HK in June. is it worth it? I read some of your thread about WW Chan and seems pretty nice and well made

You will not go wrong with WW Chan if you go that route.

kong1801

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
There is no hurry to dress like an Italian Mob Boss or Queen of England.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
lol8[1].gif

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget 2 suits at this point, since it's important to invest in other key areas of your wardrobe. I suggest going with a single charcoal suit by Chan, then distributing the remaining $3k as follows: a) 3-4 custom shirts b) 2 ties (Panta has some wonderful ones and are a steal at $99, Borrelli 7-folds on eBay often <$70) c) 2 pairs of oxfords - one brown, one black (Crockett & Jones, Barker Black, etc.) d) 2 quality belts to match above e) trench off eBay (BB, Burberry, etc.) A few well-made shirts and ties will give you a number of combinations, all of which will work with charcoal. And of course - as this is SF - take the plunge now and invest in solid shoes to complete the look. Your taste in suits will evolve together with your experience in tailored clothing, and as you'll be based in Asia you'll have the opportunity later on for Chan to have another go. Given your dimensions, I'd suggest a 3 button rolling to 2, with a relatively high gorge for the coat. Flat-front, slim-fitting trousers with minimal break and a generous cuff.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind, for $5K, you could purchase the best suit ever: A lady's birthday suit for one whole week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads