• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Should Boots Fit? Help with Right Size

macher

Reaction score
Hi I have a pair of Red Wing Beckman’s in size 7 and 7.5. Not sure what size to keep.

The 7’s without an insert fit nice and snug with thick wool socks but my right foot is a little wider than my left. They seem a little too narrow but not by much. My outside toes on right foot feel a little constricted. Also looks like the max for toe room. Don’t know if they could be stretched on the front width wise. The ball seems to line up with the widest part.

The 7.5’s I need an insert with thick wool socks and they fit nice and snug. Seems like I might have too much toe room but I think too much doesn’t matter as long as your ball lines up? However not sure if my ball is too short with the widest part.

I also have a pair of Iron Rangers in size 7 that are built on the same last as the Beckman’s and they seem to fit fine.

What’s the best way to determine what size in the Beckman’s is the best fit?

Here’s some pics of the 7.5’s. Balls short of widest part?

https://imgur.com/gallery/p5ZvY

Thanks!

Last edited:

andrewmrsid

Reaction score
You need to line up the metatarsal joint with the widest part of the shoe. I think the 7.5 is too big. Break in the 7. I always say a little snug is good, tight is bad

macher

Reaction score

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry to be a little tardy on this but fit is really subjective. I mean there is such a thing as a proper fit but very few consumers have either the knowledge or the techniques/tools to evaluate fit. As a result there is always an element of defensiveness when someone tells them something they don't want to hear.

The Traditional understanding is that on a wide round toe there needs to be 5/8" difference between the end of the longest toe and the inside end of the shoe/boot.

From the photos...something is "off" in the sizing of these boots. The proper length difference--the "stick"--between a 7 and a 7.5 should be in the neighborhood of 1/8". The seven is a bit too short...IMO, and the 7.5 more than a little too long.

Having said that, people can have long toes relative to overall length or short toes. So a correct fit would be extremely, almost obsessively, dependent on where the medial ball joint was positioned in the shoe and relative to the last.

I cannot tell from the photos whether your medial ball joint is correct position or not.

Yes, the forepart of the last can be stretched....width-wise. Yes, the forepart will stretch of it's own accord...width-wise.

If you cramp the ends of your toes, however, you will never be comfortable.

Last edited:

macher

Reaction score
Sorry to be a little tardy on this but fit is really subjective. I mean there is such a thing as a proper fit but very few consumers have either the knowledge or the techniques/tools to evaluate fit. As a result there is always an element of defensiveness when someone tells them something they don't want to hear.

From the photos...something is "off" in the sizing of these boots. The length difference--the "stick"--between a 7 and a 7.5 is in the neighborhood of 1/8". the seven is a bit too short...IMO, and the 7.5 more than a little too long.

The Traditional understanding is that on a wide round toe there needs to be 5/8" difference between the end of the longest toe and the inside end of the shoe/boot.

Having said that, people can have long toes relative to overall length or short toes. So a correct fit would be extremely, almost obsessively, dependent on where the medial ball joint was positioned in the shoe and relative to the last.

I cannot tell from the photos whether your medial ball joint is correct position or not.

Yes, the forepart of the last can be stretched....width-wise. Yes, the forepart will stretch of it's own accord...width-wise.

If you cramp the ends of your toes, however, you will never be comfortable.

Happy New Year and thanks for the reply!

Yep the 7’s are a bit too short and the 7.5’s are more than a little too long. Tried on both pairs. The 7’s would be good if they were just a tad longer.

Now I’m between a rock and a hard place. I’m kind of stuck with the 7’s cause I’ve had them and been wearing them. The 7.5’s are brand new and are returnable. My medial ball joint is a little short of the widest part in the 7.5’s but perfect in the 7’s.

Any suggestions? Wondering if I should cut my loses and move on and sell the 7’s used and return the new 7.5’s.

Allen Edmonds does professional fitting I believe. They have boots similar like the Higgins Mill. A little on the dressier side for me vs industrial looking. Maybe a better route.

Thanks!

Last edited:

andrewmrsid

Reaction score
I think you might have found the right solution. Sell them used and moved on. I wouldn't suggest getting the 7.5, that is too long. Time to try a different boot and see if they have better lasts for your foot shape.

macher

Reaction score
I think you might have found the right solution. Sell them used and moved on. I wouldn't suggest getting the 7.5, that is too long. Time to try a different boot and see if they have better lasts for your foot shape.

Thank! any suggestions on trying to search for a last for my foot shape?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads