• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should add a choice for not spending on non-essentials because one does not want to receive deliveries of packages or further strain or expose the people who are preparing the packages and making the deliveries.

Can’t believe that did not cross your mind.

Well said. The nerve of not adding a selection for virtue signaling.

Come on now @LA Guy, don’t start slacking now.

:D

Reaction score
I voted for #3 (I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.). However, If I see something on line (as all stores are closed) that I just can't pass up, I will purchase it. I know We're all going through a horrific time, but this too shall pass. And when it does We will come back stronger than ever.

EddieK

Reaction score
I am avoiding buying things because I don't want to overload the already-stressed delivery and logistics networks here in the UK. I made an exception to buy an Epaulet shirt which is being shipped to a friend in the US. I agree with the second post here, but I am also aware that small businesses and artisans need support. I suppose I should/could buy gift cards rather than stuff. I have been working on a mental post-Covid wish list, so will probably have a splurge when this is all over.

Oh, I did buy a couple of t-shirts from Son of a Tailor and a pair of light-weight casual trousers, as we were nearing the end of a renovation when the lockdown came so work paused, and all of our lighter clothing is in storage.
Buying gift cards might not be a good idea, because some companies might go under. The gift cards you have then will be useless.

Mogwaiyoungteam

Reaction score
I’m spending as I did last month and the months before that. I cast my vote on #4 but I can afford it... my wife is working from home and being a key worker myself there is still money coming in.....SPEND SPEND SPEND......

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Buying gift cards might not be a good idea, because some companies might go under. The gift cards you have then will be useless.
I have thought of that. I’d probably take my chances if it helps them stay alive. But thank you. You’re absolutely right.

Reaction score
Quoddy has had some specials in recent weeks as incentives to purchase. First they offered free shipping, then increased it to 20% off everything on the website plus free shipping. That offer was too good for me to pass up so I ordered my first pair of Quoddys yesterday before the offers expired. Since the pair will be made to order as are most of their shoes, it will probably take about six weeks before I receive them. I always wanted a pair, and this is a good time to support a small town US business and the craftsmen that they employ.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I chose #2 as I bought a few things I may not immediately need but will get real use out of. Dress shirts from Sid Mashburn, scarf from HN White, killer Isaia leather wallet from topsehelfapparel (potential Xmas gift for my son).

Also sent a few boxes to LuxeSwap and have bid on a few auctions these past few weeks. Actually won one! Still ticked I got distracted and missed the ending of that brown flannel Brioni sport coat @SpooPoker had up last week. Was totally going to snipe it.

Anyway, supporting local businesses as best as I can. Still sending dress shirts to dry cleaners, ordering delivery chow or carry out more often than I did before and tipping rather heavily. Also donated to the Go Fund Me staff support drives for two favorite local pubs.

iam.mike

Reaction score
I voted for #1, but moreso because we want to set aside any cash reserves for our business, if needed.

Mostly don't want to spend money on anything but food/necessities right now but I also see all the sales going on. It's not so much that I can't resist a sale, but rather I see the sales as a sign that businesses are struggling

Having on online retail business, and knowing many others in retail and/or who make money online, most everyone is struggling to a degree. Some much more than others.

Everyone I know who has a business has applied to PPP and EIDL, but very few have gotten any funding yet.

It seems as though most consumers are focusing their spend on essentials, and products related to personal or medical PPE.

As such, many businesses / people selling non-essential items has likely lost a significant amount of business -- us included. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

they’re struggling but they’ve also been able to offload quite a bit of overhead with rent/lease payment abatements and furloughs. Slashing prices is one of trying to keep some sort of revenue stream alive.

Actually, this may not be true for all business. Abatements/furloughs are primarily for residential, not for commercial.

We asked our commercial property landlord for rent relief (partial differed payments), and they essentially declined the request. We want to keep our staff fully paid, regardless of whether or not they are working, and deferring some commercial rent payments could afford us some additional runway.

My brother-in-law manages many large commercial properties in the San Jose/SF Bay Area, and he is doing his best to help out his business tenants, by deferring some rent payments.

It's definitely a strange situation. Our supply chain is essentially shut down, so while we can continue to sell from our existing inventory, we won't be able to replenish it until further notice.

Last edited:

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still working and still spending. Got some formal shoes from SF affiliate in Italy as well as basics from W+H sale and some SLP shoes. Best thing now is that packages even from EU arrives in no time.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've spent some but trying to make sure I'm saving a bit more than usual, too. I can't be 100% confident in my work situation right now.

SS 376

Reaction score
I chose option #3. I've curtailed discretionary spending a fair bit and I'm more replacing items that are worn out and being very intentional about what I'm buying. I'm not concerned about income disruption and we live well below our means but better to have the cash and not use it than not have it at all.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of those get my vote.

I'm not spending as much but have definitely found some very good deals in the last 2 months.

2 Canali dress shirts $83 each
2 Corneliani dress shirt-linen cotton $59 each
1 Corneliani dress shirt cotton $59
1 Corneliani linen dress shirt $59
2 pair Zanella corduroy pants $37 each
1 Boglioli navy prince of whales suit $297 (long story on how I got that deal)
1 Boglioli brown plaid suit $399
1 RLPL Aston Sport shirt lavender $87
1 RL patchwork sport shirt SS $44
1 Eaton blue chevron with contrasting gingham collar and cuff
About 20 silk pocket squares ranging from $9-$22

Hmmm, Maybe I am spending as much as usual

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of those get my vote.

I'm not spending as much but have definitely found some very good deals in the last 2 months.

2 Canali dress shirts $83 each
2 Corneliani dress shirt-linen cotton $59 each
1 Corneliani dress shirt cotton $59
1 Corneliani linen dress shirt $59
2 pair Zanella corduroy pants $37 each
1 Boglioli navy prince of whales suit $297 (long story on how I got that deal)
1 Boglioli brown plaid suit $399
1 RLPL Aston Sport shirt lavender $87
1 RL patchwork sport shirt SS $44
1 Eaton blue chevron with contrasting gingham collar and cuff
About 20 silk pocket squares ranging from $9-$22

Hmmm, Maybe I am spending as much as usual
Eaton = Eton

CMR16

Reaction score
I went with option 3 with the desire to allocate some money into long-term investments paying good dividends and seeing where it goes. However, I chose that option before blindly spending $900 on the online Carmina store. Whoops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads