• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about 2010?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a meeting the other day with a potential business partner and he remarked that a lot of people seem energized about 2010. I'm really excited about this year. 2007 was **** for me, 2008 was pretty drab, toward the end of 2009 I began to feel okay, and now I have some great stuff in the works at work, and have started a new relationship with a pretty impressive woman. Two weeks in, I'm excited about 2010. Also, I bought a new suit today. Anyone else excited about 2010?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Business wise, all our forecasts are pretty eff'ing grim. So grim, I'm not counting on a bonus and will be surprised if I even get my next scheduled raise. That's okay though, I'm not crying poor, and I'm in things for the long haul.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Business wise, all our forecasts are pretty eff'ing grim. So grim, I'm not counting on a bonus and will be surprised if I even get my next scheduled raise. That's okay though, I'm not crying poor, and I'm in things for the long haul.

I am in the same boat. If I am lucky I will make around 20% less this year. If unlucky...yikes!

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2009 was a mixed bag for me. Lost a ton of money, got a new job, broke up with the fiance, bought a house. I'm hoping 2010 is more enjoyable and less of a rollercoaster.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What can I say ... I prefer odd-numbered years.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It can only get better.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel really good about 2010. 2009 was one of my worst years ever (while leaving a $150k /year job to start your own firm can be exciting, the financial hammer comes down on you). This year has started off really well for me and I feel that the trend will continue.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ I sure as hell hope it gets better.

2010 began with my father-in-law breaking his hip. Following his hospital stay he graduated from the dementia unit to the full-nursing care dementia unit ... at double the cost. As if that weren't enough of a beginning ... my sister checked into Betty Ford ... at my expense due to most of her assets being frozen as she goes through a divorce.

RJman ... do you remember that little kitten that "baked you a cookie but eated it?" It's as if my beagles baked me a ham ... but eated it ... and then baked a second one and eated it too.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2010 is hopefully an upswing year. 2009 was mostly a stagnant year, which i hate, but at least i had good health and didn't lose my job.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the world may not be coming to a financial end as it seemed 12 months ago, but in so many ways I think we are in the "eye of the storm" and could be in for some more major bumps. Financial institutions are better off because of massive stimulus but until they start loaning money to small businesses, we have no true recovery. Housing isn't much better because once interest rates go up, (and they will) even at low prices, less people can afford to buy. Houses will stay depressed except in the cream of the crop areas (and there are very, very few of those). We have a lot more foreclosures to face. I think it will be like the early 70's were we went sideways (including the stock market) for a very long time. Massive amounts of workers needed to be retrained and that took years. It wasn't until new, innovating small businesses began to grow and prosper that we pulled out of it (true recovery) and that took a while.

I'll be happy to see more incentives, including tax breaks, for small businesses.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
RJman ... do you remember that little kitten that "baked you a cookie but eated it?" It's as if my beagles baked me a ham ... but eated it ... and then baked a second one and eated it too.

It sounds like then they fouled your rug.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2010 is going too quickly already.

+1
I graduate in may and have a few fairly large decisions ahead of me. I have always assumed that a change of location would be in order after graduation, but my job is going so damn good right now its gonna be hard to move forward. Also my latest lady friend looks like she may have an effect on that decision as well.

idk, i feel like right now it doesnt matter what i do i cant mess up too much, kinda exciting i suppose

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far, so good. Heck of a lot better than the **** year that was 2009.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
2009 was by far-- BY FAR--- the best year of my life. If 2010 can even compete on the same level with '09, it's going to be a damn good ride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads