• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you create your tie dimple?

Simone1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently working on a YouTube project, where I will be creating a men's style community in my country - this will mostly be targeted towards the younger people, as there is a good audience right now.

As I looked into inspiration and watched several tie knot videos, I came across different ways of creating a tie dimple.

I personally finish the dimple the very last moment, by pressing my index finger into the tie, and grabbing the sides with my thumb and middle finger, while pulling the tie through.

I saw a different way of doing it - simply by grabbing the top of the tie (above the knot) and squeezing the sides together with one hand, while pulling the tie through the loop with the other hand...

What is your technique?

By the way, I have always been interested in knowing how to create multiple dimples like in this photo. Obviously it does call for a wide tie, but how does he do it? I am a rookie at these points. Thanks a lot!

Photo is from
: https://www.instagram.com/danielre/

suitedcboy

Reaction score
That dimple looks to be pinched in place after knot was finished.

A consistent single deep dimple producer is to pinch the blade of tie into a dimple above the the horizontal blade of tie when there is 1 to 1 1/2 inch of tie left to pull through to finish tightening knot. You can pinch the dimple you want this way.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ability to easily create a tie dimple, like parallel parking is probably genetically
pre-determined. I am blessed with both. Thank god. However, for those for whom it is not natural,
I have found that it is best to start forming the dimple well before the knot is about to be closed.
This is for s non-windsor knot. If one starts forming the dimple early, there is the opportunity to
correct if the dimple or, god-forbid, multiple "dimplets" are forming. On the rare occasions that
a perfect dimple does not result, I start over. I also find that a neck tie that has certain heft
is easier than a thin silk one . Knit ties are a bit trickier, but the same approach should work

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That dimple looks to be pinched in place after knot was finished.

A consistent single deep dimple producer is to pinch the blade of tie into a dimple above the the horizontal blade of tie when there is 1 to 1 1/2 inch of tie left to pull through to finish tightening knot. You can pinch the dimple you want this way.

This is what I do (and did yesterday):

Simone1

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman for all your replies.. I like hearing thoughts on this subject. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads