• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you clean your ties?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
You guys are Greek, no?

laugh.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I wash mine in the washing machine and go by the same principles as the fabric demands.

All of them get hung to dry or laid flat though

I would think that water will ruin the shape of the tie, no? I had one silk knit tie, hand wash in cold water and hang dry --> the smaller blade get as big as the bigger blade..

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
I would think that water will ruin the shape of the tie, no? I had one silk knit tie, hand wash in cold water and hang dry --> the smaller blade get as big as the bigger blade..

Nope didn't ruin them at all. Came out just fine. I wash them inside a laundry bag too

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for all of those who have used TieCrafters: What's included in their tie cleaning process? They said 10 steps, but I found no where on the website the details of the 10 steps.

I don't know the whole process, but my understanding is that they open up the tie, clean and press the silk or wool or whatever and then sew it back up. I'm probably not explaining this right, but it is not just cleaned as is and pressed like dry cleaners do. This leaves marks on the outside were the lining shows through from the pressing. If the tie has any rips or tears they will also fix those up. For ties you like it is so worth it.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also use Oxyclean. No stain has lasted after a blast of that stuff.

So I don't know how much "tiecrafters" charges, but I'll stick to my home method of:

• wash in a laundry bag in my washing machine
  • use Oxyclean

Total cost: about 25 cents for as many ties as I want to clean

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I don't know the whole process, but my understanding is that they open up the tie, clean and press the silk or wool or whatever and then sew it back up. I'm probably not explaining this right, but it is not just cleaned as is and pressed like dry cleaners do. This leaves marks on the outside were the lining shows through from the pressing. If the tie has any rips or tears they will also fix those up. For ties you like it is so worth it.

Awesome, thanks.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for all of those who have used TieCrafters: What's included in their tie cleaning process? They said 10 steps, but I found no where on the website the details of the 10 steps.
01. Greet customer 02. Receive garment from customer 03. Make ticket 04. Say goodbye to customer and assure everything will be ok 05. Send tie out for cleaning 06. Receive tie back from cleaning 07. Greet customer 08. Receive ticket & retrieve tie for customer 09. Confirm customers ticket matches that of tie and receive payment. 10. Say goodbye to customer and tell them to come again.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also use Oxyclean. No stain has lasted after a blast of that stuff. So I don't know how much "tiecrafters" charges, but I'll stick to my home method of:
  • use Oxyclean

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but that sounds like something that you could try for a tie that you don't really care much about. I would be afraid to try that on some of my favorites - particularly those that I've inherited.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also use Oxyclean. No stain has lasted after a blast of that stuff.

So I don't know how much "tiecrafters" charges, but I'll stick to my home method of:

• use Oxyclean

Originally Posted by Metlin
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but that sounds like something that you could try for a tie that you don't really care much about.

I would be afraid to try that on some of my favorites - particularly those that I've inherited.

Yeah, furo, I don't know for sure if you're being serious. You might be dead serious, but still.... I cannot try this with any of my current tie.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More often than not when my ties get dirty it's time to replace them.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
More often than not when my ties get dirty it's time to replace them.

But sometime you just can't simply replace...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Chalk up another vote here to Tiecrafters. I wouldn't necessarily ship and pay all that money w/ TC just to get minor to moderate wrinkles out, but if your tie is too badly wrinkled or stained for home care, TC is the way to go.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but that sounds like something that you could try for a tie that you don't really care much about.

I would be afraid to try that on some of my favorites - particularly those that I've inherited.

Yeah, furo, I don't know for sure if you're being serious. You might be dead serious, but still.... I cannot try this with any of my current tie.

No joke and no problems at all. If you can't try it with any of your current ties, you'll never know, but when you find one that no longer suits your needs, give it a shot.

Granted, I have a fairly nice, new washing machine that is a front loader capable of very delicate cycle. Also, the laundry bag is key. I use the same bag to wash my cashmere and wool sweaters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads