• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Avoid Kicking Off Toe Taps

Sean Archer

Reaction score
It's happened 3 times to me. Twice on the same shoe with metal to taps, once with a plastic one. I'm getting annoyed and am seriously considering vibram with the next resole.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I am amazed that you managed to do that, so to me, the question would be more "How do you kick off toe taps?", rather than how do you avoid it!

I have more shoes with metal toe taps and a few with nylon toe taps. The metal ones are quite thin and flat and are almost flush with the sole of the shoe, and are held in place by three or four nails. I think that it would be very difficult to kick them off unless you really have a habit of scuffing your toes against the ground.

Perhaps try having them recessed more into the sole (which is more expensive and a trickier operation)?

Eagle

Reaction score
^^The last time I had metal toe taps and heel plates installed on shoes/boots, I think the repair shop used tiny brass screws to secure the taps. However, I have to admit, this was back in the 1970's. Since then I've used nylon taps and they have been glued and further secured with small nails.
smile.gif

DandySF

Reaction score
I managed to lose toe taps a couple of times. When I went to a new shoe repair shop to have them replaced, it stopped happening. In my case, I think the issue was with the way that the taps were being applied. Might be time for you to try a new shoe repair shop.

Reaction score
Is it a DIY job? All my metal and plastic toe and heel taps are secured with nails and installed by cobblers. I have never had an issue with the taps falling out. I have the taps replaced once the nails have worn down past their heads.

The adhesive on the taps is there to help in their installation. It is by no means a permanent solution, and nails, screws or staples are necessary.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
When you Kung Fu kick someone in the face during fisticuffs, twist your foot just ever so slightly to release the suction formed between your toe tap and his skin.

Particularly if your foe uses Nivea skincare products, the suction created by depressing the toe tap into the other dude's face can be surprisingly powerful: it can suck that tap right off your sole.

Those of with recessed toe taps: nevermind...kick away.

- B

Sean Archer

Reaction score
I DIY my toe taps. They come with tiny nails that are slightly longer than an AE single sole is thick . I had to remove them and clip the ends becaues it went through the sole on those shoes haha. Maybe I should try screws instead of nails.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
When you Kung Fu kick someone in the face during fisticuffs, twist your foot just ever so slightly to release the suction formed between your toe tap and his skin.

Particularly if your foe uses Nivea skincare products, the suction created by depressing the toe tap into the other dude's face can be surprisingly powerful: it can suck that tap right off your sole.

Those of with recessed toe taps: nevermind...kick away.

- B

I almost spit out my coffee reading that. Thanks for the laughs, B !

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sean Archer
I DIY my toe taps. They come with tiny nails that are slightly longer than an AE single sole is thick . I had to remove them and clip the ends becaues it went through the sole on those shoes haha. Maybe I should try screws instead of nails.

Sean, take them to a cobbler. They don't charge much for taps, and most do a very decent job with taps since it is one of the most common requests. The taps they use have longer wearing plastic (nylon?) than the $2 kiwi you get in stores.

I used to have taps 4-5 years back, have stopped putting taps completely now. They are uncomfortable for me and I have much more shoes (which fit better) in my rotation than before.

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Ok I've now reverted fully to only using a row of 5 or so 1/2" nails put into the stitch line at the toe. No more need to buy taps.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tripped and fell yesterday while wearing my RL Darltons but thankfully the metal toe tap took the entirety of the damage with two nails popping out. Unfortunately, I ripped my gorgeous silk/cotton Mabitex pants which I'd only worn 3 times. Random rant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads