• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do Theory shirts fit?

svelten

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a few Theory shirts online, just wanted to get a handle on their fit if anyone has experience with them. Do they fit slim (ie Zara/H&M), boxy (ie Banana Republic) or loose/regular (Club Monaco, Ralph Lauren Polo)? For reference I usually wear a small from Banana and RL Polo and Club Monaco, but wear mediums from Zara, H&M, and any other especially slim fitting brands.

For reference my measurements are: 14.5 neck, 34 sleeves, 37 chest.

thanks

Opermann

Reaction score
Material boy is right. Theory runs slim. I'm a Large in shirts (16.5-35) and wear XL in Theory.

JFKJean

Reaction score
14 neck for most labels would be a small. I just got a theory woven in a small and it fits like a glove, definitely more slimmer cut that H&M, Zara, etc.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy
You should wear medium in Theory.

I would say get a small instead. You're a 36 chest with a 14 inch neck.

svelten

Reaction score
I'm more worried that the sleeves are going to be too short on a small especially for wearing with a suit for example where I would like to show sufficient cuff. I'm fairly tall (6'0") and have pretty long arms, and that's one thing you can't alter on a shirt (that is, lengthen the sleeves). H&M/Zara/Banana Republic small sizes have sleeves that are *way* too short for me (even their mediums don't work for me either).

However, I do have Paul Smith shirts in both small and medium and their sleeves fit me just fine in either size, and both sizes fit pretty well around the waist and chest area as well, only one fits tighter. I'd really just buy it from a store if not for the relatively cheap price I'm finding them for online.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Definitely small, maybe extra small.

I'm a 15 neck and 19 chest and the small fits me well. I don't find their shirts to be extremely slim, nothing like Dior or BoO.

Quality is pretty bad for what your paying. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for a shirt. Quality wise, PRL and BB have it beat, but Theory is just a tad bit slimmer than BB slim and about the same as PRL slim custom.

svelten

Reaction score
Really $40? That's cheaper than your bargain bin H&M shirt. I was hoping I could get away with mediums as Bluefly has a number of them on sale and I have a coupon code. Think I'll stick with trying them on in-store... too many conflicting opinions from equally reputable members on this thread.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not worth it on bluefly. Even with the coupon they're usually around 80-100. You might as well go on gilt and buy similar shirts for 60ish. They have a michael kors, elie tahari, and similar brand sale every other day or so. You can easily pick them up without having to wait on bluefly.

I think I would put HUGO (the Boss red label) at the same level as theory. They also came out with a cheaper line of shirts that are even worse (banana republic quality) retailed at 125. Not that BR or Boss are absolutely terrible, but paying 200 or even 100 for such a shirt seems excessive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads