• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do people dress & style themselves in today's economic climate?

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and I just wanted to share this recent interview we did with Saks Fifth Avenue Men's Fashion Director, Eric Jennings. We asked him if anything has changed in the way people have dressed or style themselves during the economic downturn.

He said, "Yes! And I'll tell you how. Men are not buying basics. They're not replacing their navy-blue suit. What they are buying is novelty, color, something that's unique, that's special, that's colorful...THAT's what they're buying. You know, something that puts a smile on your face, something that there's an emotional connection to...

...I think you have to consider what you're spending your money on. Whether you call it quality or luxury or value, those are things that you need to look for. You want to buy something that's not only going to last your lifetime...but something you can pass on to your kids, or something that will be found in a vintage shop, not in a landfill somewhere.

You know what I'm saying? This whole idea of disposable clothing - wear it now, get rid of it [later] - that ends up in a landfill...I think you want to look for those pieces that are special, put a smile on your face, things that you know are going to last. There's a timelessness to that."

The rest of the interview here: http://steelcloset.com/2009/03/22/fo...ngs/#more-5324 [steelcloset.com]

What do you guys think? Have you been dressing simpler? darker? or more vibrant and colorful? How has your purchasing changed?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Cas.

Welcome. An interesting interview. For myself, no changes in buying patterns, just less buying overall due to loss of net worth and diminution of overall compensation package. Still replacing basics.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
He said, "Yes! And I’ll tell you how. Men are not buying basics. They’re not replacing their navy-blue suit. What they are buying is novelty, color, something that’s unique, that’s special, that’s colorful…THAT’s what they’re buying. You know, something that puts a smile on your face, something that there’s an emotional connection to… ...I think you have to consider what you’re spending your money on. Whether you call it quality or luxury or value, those are things that you need to look for. You want to buy something that’s not only going to last your lifetime…but something you can pass on to your kids, or something that will be found in a vintage shop, not in a landfill somewhere.
I am not sure how you reconcile these two seemingly conflicting statements. Seems to me that you will get better mileage and stand a better chance on passing down a basic suit from one generation to another than with a novelty colored tie.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Hey Marc,

I totally know what you mean. I've been buying nothing at all. All new clothes come in the form of gifts. I guess I'm just looking at my closet and trying to get experimental with colors and clothing combinations that I thought didn't work before. I've always tried new ways to wear clothes but I guess when you haven't shopped in a long time, it's more of a necessity.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought less this year overall, but last year was a bit of a binge for me (coinciding roughly with my discovering Style Forum). I agree with the sentiments expressed in your post. I seek out quality, but at the right price. If I am going to go with something flashy or trendy, it will likely be a tie or scarf or something less expensive. I don't think I will be replacing any basics this year, but might be adding a few basics that I don't have.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can still have novelty and uniqueness, but it could still be good enough to pass on to your kids. A novelty colored tie is a bad example, like the Piano Key Tie.

My point was that the more unique and item is, the more colorful and the more off the classic and basic path it is, the more dated it stands to become and the less chance it stands to pass the test of time.

This years colors are not next years. This years patterns are not next.

Thats the idea behind fashion. Its made to not be timeless.

litho

Reaction score
if business is bad, buy a new suit

Taxler

Reaction score
The only people I know who are dressing differently are those who've lost their jobs. Everyone else is dressing the same, although they may not be adding new pieces.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about styling or grooming? Are ya'll using less pomade or what?

My pomade usage remains unchanged. My use of what has increased slightly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads