• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How are the Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
They have a deal at $85 for 180s superfine shirts...wondered if these are decent quality for the money.

Thanks for the feedack.
smile.gif

wvuguy

Reaction score
Everything I've been told by folks (that seemingly know best) about CT is that they are dreadfully overpriced at full retail, and many of them don't like what apparently is their rather baggy fit. But, while 60% off admittedly puts these products in a different light, I don't get the impression those same folks.....owning an appreciation of fine shirting.....would break their asses to buy CT even under clearance prices. I've also been told that the Super 180 is a comparably fragile fabric, and therefore not particularly well-suited at all for conventional day-to-day business use.

Disclaimer: I do not own any CT products

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own three Tyrwhitt shirts and would not purchase them again, at any price. They're too baggy, the collar points curl under even with the brass stays and the fabric is nothing to write home about. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the order I got a week or two ago, they're not really that baggy. The body feels slimmer than BB's traditional fit, but not as slim as BB's slim fit (which is a decent fit on me). Arms are fairly slim, probably the same as BB's slim fit. I might have the waist of mine tapered (I'm wearing a 16 x 36, have a 36 inch waist and 41.5 inch chest), but I'll leave my sleeves alone.

The materials used for the 180's are very thin, but that's what I was hoping for, since I live in a humid environment. The sea island is probably better.

I think that this forum has a lot of people with unusual body shapes, especially a lot of tiny people who even find slim fit shirts to be too baggy.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I think that this forum has a lot of people with unusual body shapes, especially a lot of tiny people who even find slim fit shirts to be too baggy.

Perhaps, but I ain't one of them. 5'11", 185 lbs., and the Tyrwhitt shirts are still tents on me.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Perhaps, but I ain't one of them. 5'11", 185 lbs., and the Tyrwhitt shirts are still tents on me.

Really? I'm 6'1", 185, wearing the 16 x 36. I felt that the arms were pretty good, and the body was loose. What size neck did you get?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Really? I'm 6'1", 185, wearing the 16 x 36. I felt that the arms were pretty good, and the body was loose. What size neck did you get?
Keep in mind the collars shrink considerably, so most people will need to size up, meaning that the body is that much bigger. The one I have is a 16 and the collar fits like a 15.5, while the body fits like a typical 16.5.

Edit: the fabric is quite nice though. Collar and cuffs are flimsy.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent

ah, that half inch size difference adds 2 inches to the shirt chest..... the chest size jump's up 2 inches for each half inch. my slightly thinner neck (which is actually more like a 15.75 or 15.8) gets me a slightly slimmer shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads