• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Euro Parliament internship warddrobe

mundie_3

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is sort of a minor issue right now (I should be learning French and studying parliamentary procedure) but I have been thinking a lot about the wardrobe for my internship this fall working for a member of the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium.

By searching around these forums, I've narrowed down my options. Because of my body type, I am trying as hard as possible to not be an off-the-rack suit. I think Thick As Thieves may be my best bet, and I'll probably try to buy 2 suits from him (Jason, right?) -- especially if the SF deal still stands.

As far as shirts go, I like the idea of staying with made-to-measure options. Is Jantzen a source? I've never tried anything MTM over the internet, and the language barrier scares me (though I doubt it is an issue). I will probably try to get 3-4 white shirts from them.

I really don't like dress shoes, but I love dress boots. Especially with somewhat of a point to the toe. Until I saw RM Williams' collection I thought I would have trouble finding a well-made pair that look awesome and dressy but are not too extremely expensive. I would like to get a deep reddish-brown color, which would mean the suits would both have to be grey or blue, and not black.

Ties I'm not worrying about now. I'll find ties no problem.

My question to the SF'ers out there is: What do you think? Does anyone have experience in that type of field? Part of the reason why I'm going MTM is because I want to "fit in with the locals," so to speak. Do you think it is safe to assume that Parliament members will be particularly well-dressed? Or am I going overboard here?

Then, the question within that question is my choice of colors, in ties, shirts, shoes/boots, etc etc etc. There is a lot to think about. I've never had an internship so political, and I don't want to stand out for the wrong reason. I DO want to stand out because I am impeccably dressed, though!!

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
mattt

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like an interesting job.

I would say keep it understated and conservatively elegant especially if you are an intern. I say dress for the European Parliament and not for the Eurovision Song Contest.

I like dress boots but cannot advise how Chelseas are perceived in Brussels. My understanding from dailyshoes.de is that the Central Europeans are very conservative with their shoes. Black shoes are considered de rigeur. However, I do know that the Southern Europeans are more liberal with wearing brown shoes to work. If wearing Chelseas I would try them out only on days in which you can afford to relax a bit more. On important days I would recommend nothing less than a pair of black captoe or punch cap Oxfords.

The look I would recommend is: quality white pure cotton dress shirts, charcoal SB lounge suit, Oxford shoes and plain red/burgandy or navy ties (or with a very plain pattern - no paisley, flowers, Euro signs, Mickey mice, ). For an occasional bit of variety and a bit of spice (ie business casual!) an understated navy pinstripe suit and a tie with stripes (but no more than two colours in the whole tie) and Chelsea boots - but NOT all at once.

When you move to Strasbourg check out the Paraboot store there (at the end of Grande Rue IIRC). Their styles are a bit more casual but they make lovely shoes nonetheless.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a friend of a friend who does some work for the EU at times. From what he describes in general (we haven't spoken in depth about clothes per se), the parliament staff are conservative (small c) & boring as the general rule. This is probably even more so if you're a junior member of staff. It's not the most inspiring political place in the world, apparently....
smile.gif

The Swede

Reaction score
My father works for the EU so I have found myself visiting on occasion (even had lunch a few times at the Parliment building). My overall appraisal leads me to this conclusion: officials attaced to the EU dress not only conservatively but also poorly. Clunky, square shoes, ill-fitting cheap suits, horrible grey shirts and tie combinations.. It was, sadly, a depressing sight.

Tibo

Reaction score
I know the EU environment quite well and would tend to agree. Shoes, in particular, are terrible; suits are no good either, and you'll see a lot of this awful "red shirt/burgundy tie" type (to say nothin g about the infamous gray/gray combo).

I don't want to generalize too much, but a lot depends on the nationality- btw, it's fun to guess one guy's nationality in the EU corridors by looking at his clothes. Italians and Spaniards lead the way, and the new MS are (in general) more poorly dressed (not only in terms of quality but also style). French and British are average. IMHO, the Commission officials dress much better than people in the EP and it should come as no surprise that high-ranking officials tend to dress better.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
The look I would recommend is: quality white pure cotton dress shirts,

Jesus, no white shirts please.

Some friends of mine passed apprenticeships at the EP. They bought all their "new" clothes there. You'll find everything and in every price range.

http://www.visitbelgium.com/shopping...s.htm#brussels

With the shoes, I fully agree with Sator. I would wait with the boots until you are familiar with the "rules".

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Jesus, no white shirts please.

Praise be to Allah
laugh.gif
- I love my white shirts. I usually go for a slightly textured high end fancy whites or else really luxurious top quality stuff. There is nothing quite like it for dressiness, as well as project a clean and professional image. Ecru is also nice.

mundie_3

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I've had quite a whirlwind weekend so I need to rest, but I will make a better reply tomorrow or sometime soon.

I'm really surprised with the amount of people who have had interactions with the EP. I'm curious to learn more about experiences there.

And hey, I like dressing like Marcello Mastroianni in La Dolce Vita. For all I know, those may have been light-colored shirts, but all I saw was black and white! So white shirts are in for me. I'm pretty lazy as well.

Niels

Reaction score
I go to Brussels frequently to attend meeting in Commission and Council. I am not familiar with Parliament. I would advise a fairly conservative style. A grey suit and a navy blue suit would be fine. Black shoes mainly, but om the continent people have a more liberal wiev on brown shoes than in the UK. Shirt colours is up to your choise. White, ligth blue will do, so will other colours as long as you do not go to the extreme.

I do not agree that everybody in the European Institutions dresses poorly. With som many nationalities mixing up there will be not one but several styles.

Anyway at the bi-annual sales at the shops around Avenue Louise you can make a bargain on high-end brands.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mundie_3
So white shirts are in for me. I'm pretty lazy as well.
Fritzl is right in so far as middle of the range quality white shirts are unattractive. White is such a ruthlessly revealing colour. If the shirting is less than absolutly top quality it will look really bland and cheap. I only really started to appreciate white shirts when I went bespoke.

mundie_3

Reaction score
Fritzl,

What did your friends do in their apprenticeships? I'm a bit nervous, if only because I am American and it seems kind of strange for an American to be involved in EU/EP business.

P.S. The Salzkammergut is my favorite area that I have been to. I stayed in Salzburg with the Vice-President of the University of Salzburg, who was my uncle's pen pal from 3rd grade (I don't remember enough German to know the equivalent in Austria, but I should because I have been taught that before). Halstatt is sort of a strange place, a bit depressing because of the way the sun arrives, I think. I purchased a beautiful Celtic ring but lost it when I was drunk the following fall!

My only regret is that I didn't speak enough Deutsch then to interact with my hosts in their language, and that I do not speak enough even now (after 4 courses at my college) to talk to you, auf deutsch. Oh well.

Yours,
mm

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mm,

pm sent

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they don't look like boots to an observer, they should be fine. Brown footwear is something you'll have to see for yourself. Don't expect light brown to be acceptable, though.

Blue-white striped shirts are another option.

The job does sound interesting. A sartorial report would be nice
smile.gif

mundie_3

Reaction score
mensimageconsultant,

I fully intend on doing a sartorial report! Hopefully I can find a way to sneak a digicam into the parliament building (fat chance I know).

I'll just tell people I am the Sartorialist. No one knows what he actually looks like right? Maybe it will get me a free beer or two

Blue and white stripes are interesting, but we'll see. I'll find some shirts I'm sure. Nothing too outlandish, especially if I'm already wearing brown boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads