• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! What to do with a white cotton PS with a black edge?

take_eacy

Reaction score
Hi! I've come across the forum a couple times, and I started to realize how helpful it is. I'm a complete just turned-20yrs-old n0000bie, so I'm asking for help- really!

I wanted to get into the world of pocket squares, and I started off with a white cotton PS with a black edge one - I had originally planned to use it with a black suit until I realized that black suits on an everyday basis is a faux pas..
frown.gif

I'm a college student on a really limited budget, so I'm hoping that I can do more with it than just a black-tie event. And I don't know if this helps, but I was planning to use it in a square TV fold.

I had read that it's good to have the ties and PS complement, but is there any way that I can squeeze usage out of the PS with a grey suit? What tie/shirt color combos would work with the PS?
Also, I was hoping I could somehow just get it to work with a black belt, black-on-black watch, and black captoe shoes - probably a little boring, but I wanted to see what you guys thought?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light grey suit, white shirt, black tie and the ps you mentioned is one of the very few occasions I see where you could wear it.

It really is surprisingly useless for a piece that sounds so basic. Black suits is another obv choice, but there's the problem with black suits you already mentioned...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can fold it so that the edges don't appear, so it's just like any other white pocket square, which you can wear with any outfit.

Even showing the black edge, I don't think it is so useless. First, it is actually the opposite of what you think: you cannot wear it with a black suit as the black edges would just blend in. Charcoal won't be so good either. But any other color jacket should be fine.

vezatron

Reaction score
Wear a shirt with a grey-black check or any striped color that is bordered by black edges.

take_eacy

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice! I never really thought of flipping the PS over to only show the white side

I guess you could say it's more of a dark grey suit than it is charcoal; I was wondering if I could use a solid black knit tie with the PS and the suit..? Just to check, would a black knit tie be useful/widely applicable purchase? Or would a navy knit tie be more applicable in general?

Also, if I were to get another white PS with colored edges, would navy be a useful color? I only have like basic tie and shirt colors- navy blue, grey, white, light blue, and black.

Again, thank you for helping a college student build a wardrobe!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put the question in the quick answers forum.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sure, I think a solid black tie is pretty elegant, but navy is more versatile.

I don't think you need another white square with colored edge, since you already have one. Get a solid light blue, or a silk.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid of wearing it with you black suit. I understand the dislike of black suits on here, but despite the popular opinion of this forum, a perfect fitting black suit paired with a nice shirt and tie color combination and a good pair of sharp black shoes can be pulled off by someone young without anyone giving a second look. Most people don't have an eye for 90% of the stuff that gets nitpicked on here. I am undecided as to whether this is a good thing or bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads