• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me refine and clean up my appearance

Valence

Reaction score
Physical information
I'm 6'5",180 lbs with slight muscle mass from fencing, light weightlifting, very little body fat, 32X38 waist/inseam, Shirt sizing 16X38, 42LL jacket, reasonably broad shouldered, long hair (two inches or so less than shoulder length, slightly wavy),

As I'm getting a bit older, I'm beginning to realize how important (and enjoyable) dressing well can be. I'm still in school, which limits budget and options, but I'm attempting to dress myself in a reasonable way without becoming either obsessive or neurotic. My peers tend towards quasi-prepish, along with the traditional share of emo types, independent rock types, and standard t-shirt/jeans students. I find all these categories to not suit my tastes, but remain at a loss as to what is appropriate, somewhat budget conscious, and most importantly, given my size and build, well-fitted.

I currently own enough black and white, unlogoed tshirts to last me a few years, along with several pairs of jeans, which if not perfectly fit, are at least long enough (rogan ethanol and loomstate mission), a pair of ivory mason's khakis, a polo shirt or two, a few wool or cotton/cashmere turtlenecks and crewnecks (black, cream and navy), along with a running jacket of sorts, a nice collective puffer, and a couple of pairs of cargo pants in grey and green off virtualclotheshorse that were selected by a parent, and very little cohesion. I avoid button downs by instinct, as I can't seem to find any that don't balloon at my midsection, and I've been told that blazers and odd jackets are out of the question without MTM or bespoke, which limits my options considerably for more formal dress. I believe my instincts are reasonably good, but I'm at something of a loss as to how I might best dress myself, especially given the size restraints (as only a few designers seem to cut long enough... occasionally armani c, adam kimmel, and other slim, long cut makes), in a way that works well for school, but is sufficiently formal for other venues as well.

I'm tired of the tshirt and jeans that I so often rely on, and want to expand beyond that, perhaps via cardigans, blazers, vests, more formal slacks (grey wool, navy chinos), but I can't fully formulate my ideas, thus I'm asking for suggestions and the like to try to clean up my mode of dress.

suggestions and comments are appreciated,

~p

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You should post this in the Men's Clothing section, not Streetwear and Denim.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for slimmer cut button downs these brands may be of interest:

Band of Outsiders
Acne
Filippa K
Nom de Guerre
Engineered Garmets

Also keep in mind that tailors can easily slim down shirts to minimize any ballooning affect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads