• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me negotiate in Singapore (another one)

ruzzi

Reaction score
i'll talk in a factor of the contract fee as that way I can disclose: - Interviewed at well known US tech company I want really want to work for. Process has taken 2 months. via recruiter they said they want to offer me the job (no formal offer) for 12 month contract. - Recruiter asked me what salary range I wanted and suggested sgd90-100k (market for local recruiter with 4 years experience). - I have 6 years experience and am currently paid sgd140k at home. I also need to relocate. So I requested 140ksgd + allowances for relocation, plane ticket etc. Market for my experience level is 120k-150k. - After 1 week, company comes back via recruiter. They say they only budgeted for 90-100k but willing to offer me 110k with no relocation allowances. - I really want the job as it will look great on my resume and be great experience. It would be a "game changer" for my cv. - After tax I make the same money but I need to relocate. - I'm assuming they can't fill the position from the local talent pool. However, also possibility they are just trying to get value for money. - They're also a F500 company so I know that budget is a big consideration for them and I'm guessing a heap of approvals needed to up a recruiting budget. - I'd probably accept (not happily) at current offer of 110k but would prefer as close to 130k as possible (off set the relocation costs). - I'm considering countering again by stating market for my experience is 120k-150k and meeting them in the middle of my original request (140k) and their counter (110k) by offering 125k. Do I keep negotiating here or is it bad form to counter again? Thank you wise SF'ers!

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Are you talking about per month/ annually?

I would be hard pressed to go with an offer for a contract role that is under what my market value is worth with no relocation assistance. Relocation will set you back about SGD25,000 for end-to-end management and logistics. Add to this the time it will consume.

Any chance of getting full time?

I am assuming this is an annual. If not, just do it as Singapore is a tad more exciting than Australia IMO.

Edit: Just read your disclosure. I can't comment as it forms no baseline of what you can reasonably expect.

ruzzi

Reaction score
Thanks... Have updated with sgd numbers
smile.gif

ThatGuy

Reaction score
So, it's a 12 month contract @ SGD110k?

Are they providing an accommodation subsidy?

What role will you be in? So many factors will determine how much room you have to negotiate. As a general rule, if a company is looking to take someone up on full-time employment, the will have to at least help with relocation and temporary housing during the transition.

I would place your contract amount on the low-end if you are not getting any benefits. The plus side is that it's a F500 name that can boost your resume? But, let's get real, should we experience a downturn later, contractors are the first, and easiest, to be let go.

I recommend either exploring full-time, or upping your contract amount. Should these fail, push for relocation and a small accommodation subsidy. Thinking 2K a month will cover half of the accommodation while you are here. If they hire you, they will understand they are only giving you 12 months, they should make it worthwhile. I base this assumption with no knowledge of your skills set and depth of experience though...

ruzzi

Reaction score
yep, 12 mth @ sgd 110k.

the role is legal counsel, just a team member.

no benefits at all (no accom subsidy, no medical, no relocation), their excuse being they were hiring for a local...

i'm in a tough situation as i'm currently at a tech startup and its not the most stable place in any scenario either. ill pm you prospective employer.

thanks for your help, i might look into the FT avenue...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
with Singaporean tax vs Australian, you are making more there than you were at home.

alexanduh

Reaction score
tell them

singaporean accent -

"you want or not?"

"dont want? done"

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^^ Yes. Tell them in no uncertain terms that: "wa ser!!! can have raise? 110k year? @@"~~ is dream!"

grendel72

Reaction score
You really need to factor in housing when working in Singapore. Rental here is a killer. And if you are used to living in a condominium like lifestyle , then rent alone may be close to S$1500-2000 per month.

Personally I would do a final push for $110k plus relocation allowances or $120k .
Does your $110k include bonus payouts ?

ruzzi

Reaction score
grendel - no bonuses

matt - not actual 'relocation' costs. more cost/time involved in selling the stuff i bought over the last 2 years to fill my new house at a significant loss, renting out my house, buying new stuff in singapore, where i would likely only be for 1-2 years.

in the end i told them i couldn't accept their offer (they would't move any higher) due to below market salary offered, non-permanent role and no relocation allowance. it wasn't one of these factors but the sum of them was the deal breaker.

another factor was my partner is on similar pay, has a good career and she would need to leave that job to move to singapore where market pay for her industry is significantly less. so basically risking two secure incomes for one 12 month contract (albeit great career opporunity) with a mortgage to pay.

really tough decision, but had to make it sooner or later.

still looking in singapore though so hopefully something permanent with a market salary comes up.

thanks for your advice guys!

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it is too late now, but if your ultimate goal is to find something in Singapore, wouldn't that be much easier if you were already in Singapore? I mean, if you took this position and basically used it as a chance to find your next gig once you're already over there it seems like it would be easier than trying to find companies that would have to relocate outsiders.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
this is good advice for someone who is single, but OP has a wife n kid to think of, and the jobhunt time, the kid and the wife's ticking visa expiries etc etc make it a bit hard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads