• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a swearer

angelescrest

Reaction score
So I am a college professor, and I wear a lot of merino v necks and cardigans to go with my dress shirts and tweed pants. I do some ivy style and also classic menswear, almost always with a knit tie if I wear one. I don't really wear blazers all that much, although I own a few nice ones.

I've decided I want to invest in a really nice knit sweater, and I'm thinking of a shawl collar cardigan (don't have any). Any recommendations on a nice sweater that will work with my wardrobe? I want something that will last 20 years, both in quality and style. If appreciated any brands. I don't want to spend a huge sum for some fashion name, but I'll pay for a quality made piece. Perhaps the shawl collar cardigan is not what I should be looking at? Thanks for your thoughts.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I am a college professor, and I wear a lot of merino v necks and cardigans to go with my dress shirts and tweed pants. I do some ivy style and also classic menswear, almost always with a knit tie if I wear one. I don't really wear blazers all that much, although I own a few nice ones.

I've decided I want to invest in a really nice knit sweater, and I'm thinking of a shawl collar cardigan (don't have any). Any recommendations on a nice sweater that will work with my wardrobe? I want something that will last 20 years, both in quality and style. If appreciated any brands. I don't want to spend a huge sum for some fashion name, but I'll pay for a quality made piece. Perhaps the shawl collar cardigan is not what I should be looking at? Thanks for your thoughts.

Such an item won't be cheap. What's the budget?

angelescrest

Reaction score
Such an item won't be cheap. What's the budget?
I'm generally willing to consider any well crafted item--it just might mean I can't buy it anytime soon and need to save up! I'd be really happy if I could find something $200-$300, but I'm guessing it'd be a lot more than that. Hopefully under $500. I like to know why an item costs what it does as opposed to the fact that it has some trendy designer's name on there (which in some cases may be justified). Maybe I should be careful saying I want something "really nice" here on styleforum. I'm sure Cucinelli has some amazing cashmere piece that's $2000. J.Crew believe it or not has a $750 or so shawl cardigan, from Italy, but yikes, it's still J.Crew!

I would enjoy something in the vein of SNS Herring, but I haven't seen something like what we're talking about.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be more vague than wanted, but Google "Irish sweaters." There are multiple websites in that category selling items that probably fit the criteria. The one above also seems to.

angelescrest

Reaction score

Sam H

Reaction score

How is the fit on that? And what do you all think of the ribbed vs other knit patterns. Seems like McQueen preferred the ribbed, he certainly wore it well.

I ordered the small wishing for it to be more fitted knowing that wool stretches. Medium would be a more traditional size for me but also look looser. I wear mine with the top button rolled and a fitted silhouette so it almost looks like a knit shawl collar jacket which was my goal when I bought it. I would say buy it in the size you would normally buy a sweater in if you want the looser, more casual fit or go down a size if you want it to be sleeker.

I like the ribbing on the sweater, especially given how I wear it. If you mean alternatives like cable knit, I don't own any but if I did I think they would be crew necks. I like plain vneck sweaters, ribbed shawls, and then patterned knits always seem to make the most sense on crew necks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads