• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decode "business casual" for this internship!

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrat's on the internship.

When HR says "Jeans are ok," then that means that it's practically a free for all. Everything that you described seems fine. OP, this is probably the most easy to deal with "business casual" issue that I've seen here. Do you need us to help you wipe your behind too?

Last edited:

Troilus

Reaction score

wearing a tie without a jacket (or at least a sweater or cardigan) is usually frowned upon here

I see interns with ties and no jackets all the time. I identify them by the fact they come to work with ties and no jackets.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Educated guess: that's the kind of environment where wool pants on a low-level employee would be perceived by some as overdressing. Cotton dress trousers would be safer. No sport coat, please.

If I were him and I wore wool pants and someone said something to me about overdressing, I'd say go to hell. That is asinine.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were him and I wore wool pants and someone said something to me about overdressing, I'd say go to hell. That is asinine.
No you wouldn't. You're going to screw up his internship.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, because telling off your bosses as a lowly intern in a crappy economy is a good move...

I see interns with ties and no jackets all the time. I identify them by the fact they come to work with ties and no jackets.

Exactly why he should not go for this look.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Op I would say well pressed and slim (not tight) cotton pants are ok for most of the USA, wool pants (keep the patterns to a minimal) are ok too. OCBD's are a casual dress shirt so you're good there (no french cuffs), a watch is completely optional so don't worry about it too much. I would also suggest trying to add other layers in like a nice sweater when it's cooler. I also always kept a sportscoat at my desk or nearby incase we had a meeting or something came up when we had to go visit a client.

My first day of an internship I went 'security guard', ie black shoes and belt, grey pants, white ocbd, and navy blazer. Can't say I ever felt comfortable wearing jeans to the office. As a matter of fact, it was exactly because I was an intern that I felt like I had something to prove and always look polished and professional.

Remember, we dress well out of respect for the others and the environment we're in. Dressing well shows you respect the company and your peers.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No you wouldn't. You're going to screw up his internship.

Stop living in a fantasy world, the majority of employer don't tell a office boy off because they wear wool pants.
The point above about 'dressing well shows you respect the company and your peers' is absolute correct.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop living in a fantasy world, the majority of employer don't tell a office boy off because they wear wool pants.
The point above about 'dressing well shows you respect the company and your peers' is absolute correct.
Obviously, reading comprehension isn't your "go-to move." I didn't say anything about telling off, being told off or wool pants, for that matter. I simply said that the other poster wouldn't tell a co-worker to "go to hell" for questioning his outfit and that such an attitude could ruin OP's internship. Thank you for identifying yourself as the thread idiot.

Last edited:

cosmic

Reaction score
For business casual I would start with a navy suit sans tie. It looks sharp but not too formal, and it's always better to be dressed a bit smarter than a bit more casual than everyone else in the office. Button down shirt is fine. If you arrive and everyone is in jeans and t-shirts, just leave the top 2 buttons undone, take off your jacket, and roll up your sleeves - you'll look a bit overdressed but not too much.

Then once you've assessed exactly how casual everyone else is, you can scale it down a bit. Dark/mid-blue or mid/light grey sport coats (or brown), maybe with some pattern (herringbone, subtle windowpane etc), with mid-grey flannels or tan/stone coloured chinos, or good jeans. Casual suits e.g. dark blue linen, tan solid, light grey flannel look great. For shoes try dark brown leather monk straps, chelsea boots, or mink suede oxfords; loafers in spring/summer. This is a chance to wear all that smart/casual stuff that formal business environments don't allow, and which can be a bit too smart for many social occasions nowadays.

A good smart/casual standby where a suit (even without tie) is too formal is mid/dark blue sport coat, light blue shirt, and tan chinos, with dark brown suede oxfords and a brown leather belt.

Last edited:

cosmic

Reaction score
Educated guess: that's the kind of environment where wool pants on a low-level employee would be perceived by some as overdressing. Cotton dress trousers would be safer. No sport coat, please.
Possibly, but overdressing a bit is never fatal, underdressing can be.

Sport coats are the bedrock of business casual, and you can always take them off once at the office. A gentleman should never be caught without a jacket to hand.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For business casual I would start with a navy suit sans tie. It looks sharp but not too formal, and it's always better to be dressed a bit smarter than a bit more casual than everyone else in the office. Button down shirt is fine. If you arrive and everyone is in jeans and t-shirts, just leave the top 2 buttons undone, take off your jacket, and roll up your sleeves - you'll look a bit overdressed but not too much. 

IMO you should never wear a suit with a tie. It doesn't look good in most cases and it's what most lazy people did after their offices went from business formal to business casual. That, or it looks like you forgot your tie rushing out the door. If people are wearing jeans, he does not need to be in a suit. Odd jacket and trousers will be more than fine.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I simply said that the other poster wouldn't tell a co-worker to "go to hell" for questioning his outfit and that such an attitude could ruin OP's internship. Thank you for identifying yourself as the thread idiot.

Don't think co-workers tell people off or question interns by dressing smart. I understand your anxiety for dressing well but yet worry about what other people think. It is alright.

TomTom

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I guess I can always wear a tie the first day (just in case) and take it off if inappropriate.

Secondly, I wanted to ask if wearing a watch is considered an "essential" for an internship. I can see how wearing a classic formal watch can come off as being "snobby" considering that I'm only an intern. At the same time, I can also see how wearing a watch will allow me to look at the time without having to pull out my "very old/not so trendy" flip phone.

What's the general consensus on wearing watches for interns and if so, what kind?

Dude,you sound like a nice young man so please stop worrying about stupid things like what kind of watch you should be wearing...As long as you turn up well presented and do your job well nobody will care about . Good luck with your new position and all the best..

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[Style Forum needs to do something to reduce double-posting]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads