• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a n00b poach fish in oil

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last friday (it being Lent and all) I tried poaching halibut in olive oil on the stovetop. Unfortunately I got the idea from a magazine article which didn't actually give very clear instructions, so I went on-line and found some contradictory ones, which led to me overcooking the fish ... :censored:

In particular it wasn't clear to me whether or not to heat the oil before adding the fish, or bringing the oil up to temperature with the fish already submerged.

I ended up doing the latter until the oil reached about 150 degF, then let the fish poach for 12 minutes. That was obviously too much, so should I just bring the oil to the same temperature and then remove it immediately? Do the same and poach it for about 4 minutes?

Or should I heat the oil first, then add the fish and try some other time? :puzzled:

Anybody ever do this right? I want to try it again two weeks from now, so if you have a good method, please help!

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
If it's a whole fish, submerge prior to heating and simmer for 5 minutes. if fillets, heat before adding. don't let the liquid boil.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
150 is too high for fish. You basically want to heat the oil to the temperature you want the fish at the end. High end on that is 140, but 125 or so is going to be optimal most of the time. Depends a little on the kind of fish, but assuming you don't do salmon or tuna, 125 is pretty safe. You need to do your best to keep the temp constant while the fish is in there. Have a little extra oil handy to cool it down if it gets too hot. Time is not that important unless the fillet is very thick. Most will cook within 15-20 minutes to a quite satisfactory result. Remember to season after.

Oh, heat the oil to temp, then add fish, then control heat.

Last edited:

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it's a whole fish, submerge prior to heating and simmer for 5 minutes. if fillets, heat before adding. don't let the liquid boil.

150 is too high for fish. You basically want to heat the oil to the temperature you want the fish at the end. High end on that is 140, but 125 or so is going to be optimal most of the time. Depends a little on the kind of fish, but assuming you don't do salmon or tuna, 125 is pretty safe. You need to do your best to keep the temp constant while the fish is in there. Have a little extra oil handy to cool it down if it gets too hot. Time is not that important unless the fillet is very thick. Most will cook within 15-20 minutes to a quite satisfactory result. Remember to season after.
Oh, heat the oil to temp, then add fish, then control heat.

Many thanks -- fillets, yes. I will try as above this Friday, thanks again! :)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice was good and result was much better, thank you again.

I had a little trouble keeping the temperature steady -- probably spent most of the cooking time closer to 120 than 125, but that didn't seem to matter.

Do people re-use the oil? If so, how many times is reasonable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads