• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello Syyleforum.Net.... I'm New And Clueless, Help Me Pl0x!

Newb to style

Reaction score
Yea I think I posted this in the wrong place so here it is again here:

Hello everyone, if you are reading this then thank you!

Ok I'm going to start from the begging an confess all my fashion sins to you. Here goes:

I'm 21 years old, but look about 17 (baby face). I'm 5 foot 9, with a slim build, light short hair and I am typing this from my bed at 11.49am :s

I have never been a good dresser outside of work (I work in sales, suit and tie everyday, easy!!!) I do all my clothes shopping online, I haven't bought any cloths from a shop in...maybe 3 years! :s sorry! I prefer trakies over jeans... because there much more comfortable... but I want to change the error of my ways!!! Some tough love here would be grate

My eureka moment was yesterday... my sister (18 years of age) told me I dress like a 10 year old, I just laughed it off. But about one hour later, we saw a 12 year old (approx) with the same Nike t-shirt!!!! Which by the way is one of my most loved t-shirts as well. I think this made me realise that it was time to change because she was right .

I have been look around for tips and stuff on the internet... but I have no idea what I'm looking for really. Nor do I know what half of the stuff I am reading means. So I have placed my trust in you!!! NO PRESSURE!!!!

I want casual clothes the type of thing I can wear when going out to buy some food or going to watch a film, meet friends..... just every say stuff really.

Here is a short list of what I am not going for:
I don't want to look like a goth
I don't want to look like I have "experimented" with other guys (Not trolling here, just saying!)
I don't want to look like I am just about to walk into a apple store.
And I don't want to look like a collage student or something like that!

I think the only thing I have (style related) that I have which isn't that bad is my car..... see my profile picture..... what should a guy who is driving this car be wearing?

Good luck for you good luck for me.

Thanks for reading all of this, hope you can help

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple stuff (or what anyone can wear to the supermarket):
First step wear tshirts without logos, whites a staple that everyone can wear and try and get it to 'fit' not too tight and not too baggy. Get a pair of jeans that aren't overly expensive (don't go for premium denim just yet) and try to get a darker indigo wash without any fading it more or less looks good on anyone if you can nail the fit; and speaking of fit with denim try to go manly, not girly(skinny) and not too baggy. Pair that with a classic pair of sneakers (converse etc.) and your good to go.
P.S.
Wear a jacket if it gets cold :p
P.P.S
My 2 cents but I'm new like you so.....:) Good Luck

Yours Faithfully
TehFunnyBunny

Newb to style

Reaction score
Oh wow lots of reply! thanks all so much.

YOLO EMSHI: 1 picture can speak a thousand words..... but I'm not sure I'm "digging" your style "home boy". Naaah I'm just messing with you, I was looking for something a bit more fitting for English weather! Not much of a shirt guy outside of work either.

GG Allin: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL respect to you sir!

TEH Bunny: Wow OK that sound good, I think I can do that... loose the logo, easy! Invest in some dark jeans, OK! What type of jacket should I buy?

yosamuel

Reaction score
What TehBunny said.

For me it’s all about buying simple, restrained pieces of clothing that fit me well. Creating a base onto which you incorporate your own personal style.

I suppose this is where I would start:

- Basic, well-fitting t-shirts or polo shirts. Stripes, or a single pocket, are okay if you want to add a bit of character. I really like these from YMC: http://www.youmustcreate.com/products/jersey/11_11_28_ymc_still_p6aj7_burg_0120-1/
- Solid button-down shirt. Avoid stripes. The button-down collar is more casual. Uniqlo make a great Oxford cloth button-down: http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/069233
- Jeans, in a dark indigo wash, with a slim cut. 5 pockets, no elasticated bits or hammer loops, no dropped-crotch, minimal decoration (back-pocket stitching) or distressing. Again, Uniqlo make a pretty good pair. Failing this I’d recommend The Gap: http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/073553
- Crew-neck cotton sweater. Again, avoid prints http://www.asos.com/Nudie/Nudie-NJ-...200=16&sh=0&pge=3&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Grey
- Outerwear depends on the season, and what you plan to be doing in it (and taste, obviously). Avoid too many zips, toggles and pockets. Considering the season, something like this quilted Barbour would look okay with both work and casual attire: http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbour-Liddesdale-Jacket.html
- Classic trainer such as Converse’s All Star or Jack Purcell, Vans Era: http://www.schuh.co.uk/white-converse-all-star-lo-white/3401391070/

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Newb to style

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise yosamuel, only 1 of your links worked though??? But not to worry I got the idea, very helpful :)

filcol

Reaction score
Invest in a pair of boots. (see boots thread)
Get a pair of plain sneakers. (see sneakers thread)
Get a pair of raw denim. (see raw denim thread)
Get couple of solid colored button downs that fit you well
Get a grey sweatshirt and lots of white V's (Hanes, AA...)

invest remaining money in lurking around B&S section copping baller outerwear

dickenshero

Reaction score
I see too many people recommending converse, and nobody telling this gentleman about PF Flyers.

Now sir, if you want to buy converse, go ahead. After you buy them, walk into an apple store, buy an iPhone, iPad, and Air Book, even though they're all basically the same thing.

Now if you honestly want a good shoe, PF Flyers.

Go to the pf flyers website or zappos and buy from them. Better colors feel and comfort than converse, an overall better shoe.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^watch out his the guy from yu gi oh and he looks angry :p
His right but converse are an easy option as you can get em everywhere and anywhere, BTW on outerwear (jacket) I reckon the guy who reccomended you a barbour is spot on (its pricey but look around and you can find it for a bargain) and I reccomend you go on their website and find wha you like (probably go for the classic ones they look sick as) such as bedale. Also thumbs for the white v necks they look great with everything :)

dickenshero

Reaction score
^watch out his the guy from yu gi oh and he looks angry :p
His right but converse are an easy option as you can get em everywhere and anywhere, BTW on outerwear (jacket) I reckon the guy who reccomended you a barbour is spot on (its pricey but look around and you can find it for a bargain) and I reccomend you go on their website and find wha you like (probably go for the classic ones they look sick as) such as bedale. Also thumbs for the white v necks they look great with everything :)

Shout out to yugioh. Also V-necks don't really look good on skinny people, so if OP doesn't have muscle he should be getting some crew necks. Still white is spot on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads