• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HDTV setup

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Also, calibrating your tv is important. Some people even pay experts to come in and do this.

As Ed mentioned, cnet is an excellent source for tweaking your TV. They offer a set-by-set calibration that makes a noticeable difference.

lefty

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
You need a HDMI cable like Ed said. Component cables for video signal plus stereo cables for the audio will also work but will probably offer slightly worse picture quality than HDMI. Component video and HDMI/DVI are the only two types of cables that have enough bandwith for the HD signal.

For quality inexpensive cables checkout www.monoprice.com

Once you connect the cable you may not need to do anything else if you are happy with the picture and sound.

Thanks. I'll pick up this HDMI cable for a few bucks. Can't wait until I can get a better picture. BTW, what's usually involved in a calibration?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Thanks. I'll pick up this HDMI cable for a few bucks. Can't wait until I can get a better picture. BTW, what's usually involved in a calibration?
Is this for your cable box? Don't you need a DVI to HDMI cable? My HD cable box doesn't have an HDMI out, just a DVI

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually believe in good cable. I wish I didn't, but I can hear and see a difference, and the difference can be substantial.

A good company for inexpensive (in the cable universe) but quality cables is bettercables.com. Diclaimer: I don't own any of this cable but have seen it and give it the thumbs up, especially for the price. Their HDMI cables are here:

http://www.bettercables.com/index.as...ATS&Category=3

In terms of digital cables making or not making a difference, I certainly believe a cable between a CD transport and a DAC can make a big difference and that a digital transfer.

On the subject of good values, for a very highly rated and very inexpensive DVD player, check out reviews of the Oppo line.

brimley

Reaction score
A calibration is as simple as buying the Avia Guide to Home Theater on DVD or as complex as getting a colorimeter or hiring an ISF professional. If you buy Avia, it will have various screen tests and some color filters in the DVD player. It will guide you through the proper brightness, saturation, etc. settings. The problem is that it was designed with CRTs in mind and you probably didn't just buy a sweet new CRT.

Avia costs about $30. Paying someone to calibrate your set is probably around $100. Digital Video Essentials is another, slightly cheaper option, but it's reportedly more difficult to use for beginners.

Using someone else's calibration values on your set is risky. You need to be running the same electronics with the same connection and even then panel or bulb tolerances may be extremely large.

If you can afford it, don't plan on upgrading your TV or your electronics soon, and have a decent sized set, I think the pro calibration is a good idea. The first two statements do not apply to me, so I bought Avia
laugh.gif

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I actually believe in good cable. I wish I didn't, but I can hear and see a difference, and the difference can be substantial.

A good company for inexpensive (in the cable universe) but quality cables is bettercables.com. Diclaimer: I don't own any of this cable but have seen it and give it the thumbs up, especially for the price. Their HDMI cables are here:

http://www.bettercables.com/index.as...ATS&Category=3

In terms of digital cables making or not making a difference, I certainly believe a cable between a CD transport and a DAC can make a big difference and that a digital transfer.

On the subject of good values, for a very highly rated and very inexpensive DVD player, check out reviews of the Oppo line.

The only quality issue for HDMI is that it can pass signals of appropriate bandwidth over appropriate distance. I run a 25' 24AWG Monoprice cable at 720p with no problem. If I were passing 1080p or needed a longer distance, you might convince me to upgrade the cable, but that would only be if my signal showed obvious errors. If an HDMI cable is certified for a certain resolution, it works as well as any HDMI cable ever will.

I won't doubt that you can hear or see the difference in analog signal cables.

Also, Oppo is awesome, although I'm thinking about selling my 971 and moving to HD DVD.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
www.avsforum.com

Definitely a resource for anyone interested in any and all things home AV.

I already mentioned hat about 12 hours prior to you, look on tyhe first page. I think the short school bus is leaving, hurry up and catch it.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) You edited your post.
2) I ignore everything you say.

Back on topic - there is no HD calibration disc out, as of today. Avia/DVE both assist (greatly) in calibration of SD. Avia 2 has been rumored/discussed for quite some time - I'd just wait and purchase that. ISF calibration, while it'd be great, is terribly expensive and not something I'd be willing to invest in until I had a great deal of disposable income or a multi-faceted home theatre that I spent a ton of time in. Definitely do more reading before you venture into that territory. I concur with nyf in regards to HDMI cabling - particularly in regards to shorter lengths.

While on the topic of HD, anyone know where to get an Anthem Statement D2 for 50% off?
wink.gif

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Is this for your cable box? Don't you need a DVI to HDMI cable? My HD cable box doesn't have an HDMI out, just a DVI

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC DVR has an HDMI output so he needs a regular HDMI to HDMI cable.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Get Time Warner to get you an HDMI box.

Why?

I've learned from experience that the less interaction with TWC, the better my mental sanity is. I hate them and I don't want to call them for an appointment mid-November on a Tuesday "between 9am and 5pm"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads