• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

handwashing cashmere sweaters?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do tell? Have 4-5 cashmere sweaters I would like to handwash, please tell me how?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Do tell? Have 4-5 cashmere sweaters I would like to handwash, please tell me how?

I did this a couple of times, it's a real chore. I use a mesh laundry bag my mom got me from a hardware store put the washing machine setting on the gentlest, coolest setting and put baby shampoo or that new detergent specially made to treat soft fabrics well. I then let the sweater dry over a shower rod. Never had any problems. Before id hand squeezed it then laid it on a towel, took forever, not much diff, except that soap stays in the bloody thing if you hand wash it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thoughts on using a washer machine's "handwash" setting for handwashable items?

seoulfully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Cashmere sweaters may be dry cleaned or hand washed with a gentle cleanser such as baby shampoo or Ivory flakes. Hand washing keeps them softer longer but can change the shape of your sweaters if not done carefully. It is recommended that you soak sweaters in sudsy, lukewarm water for five minutes, then gently "squish" your sweater to let the suds soak through the fibers. Rinse in lukewarm water until the suds are completely removed and the water is clear, using the same "squishing" action, never wringing. Roll the sweater in a towel to remove the extra moisture and to speed the drying process. Lay it flat to dry and block into the desired shape, using special care, as wet cashmere fibers can weaken and stretch out of shape. Your sweater will take the shape that it's put into when it's dried, so this is an important part of its care. Once it's thoroughly dried, it can be delicately tumbled in a home dryer at a cool temperature (air dry, no heat) to make the fibers "bloom." Put the sweater inside-out in a lingerie bag with plenty of space or in a pillow case with the end tied off ? this gives it room to tumble.
from knit alteration and design also some tips from the laundress

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Take a look at this earlier thread on the topic.

I hand washed a couple of sweaters--one wool, one cashmere--recently, and it turned out very well. I may try the mesh bag in the washer approach next time, however.

One of them had strong mothball odor, and after it was almost completely dry from air drying, I threw it in the dryer on low with a clothes softener sheet. It really helped the softness and helped eliminate the odor. Be careful if you do that, though. You don't want to over dry it.

montmorency

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
thoughts on using a washer machine's "handwash" setting for handwashable items?

My washing machine has a handwash cycle. I have used it to wash sweaters, both wool and cashmere, with excellent results.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montmorency
My washing machine has a handwash cycle. I have used it to wash sweaters, both wool and cashmere, with excellent results.

Cool. Is it possible to ease up the lid and catch a peek at the little hands?

montmorency

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Cool. Is it possible to ease up the lid and catch a peek at the little hands?

Better to set up a tv behind it so after you slip your hands into the gloves that extend into the machine, you have something to watch while you rub & squeeze.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
that video from the laundress has to be one of the most annoying things EVER

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads