• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hand stitching vs machine stitching?

james48

Reaction score
Regarding a custom suit lapels - Anybody have a pic of the 2 to compare? I cant seem to find what exactly the difference is (besides the obvious hand vs machine), and which one is better and why? Or is it simply for looks? Also, is it possible to add hand stitching to a suit that does not have it? Thanks

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding handstitiching to a machine made suit= why bother, it's like putting the Mercedes emblem or the Rolls Royce lady emblem on a Yugo, who the hell are you trying to impress?

Hand-stitiched lapel supposedly gives it a nice roll, fits the body better....etc...etc

Carey

Reaction score
Do you really mean pick stitching? If the lapels have no edge stitching - a bluffed edge, a tailor can pick-stitch them. However, it is always best to follow the advice of the tailor who will do the work. I have had mine tell me not to make this change to a Hickey-Freeman birdseye I bought a few years ago.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a bluffed edge garment garment should be left as is. edge stitching should be done during the original construction.
machine or hand stitching is a matter of styling.
the best hand stitched edge is the kind that is almost invisible.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, another similar question -

I was talking to a new tailor today, and he offered to do a suit with all hand stitching. honestly, I never really thought about that - the suits I have now were made by machine, but made for my measurements, with my fabric and with the details I wanted. I was happy with that. now I am wondering if it is worth the extra to go for complete hand stitching. also, he offered a hybrid - what parts of the suit really make a difference if hand stitched ?

thanks

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james48
Regarding a custom suit lapels - Anybody have a pic of the 2 to compare? I cant seem to find what exactly the difference is (besides the obvious hand vs machine), and which one is better and why?

Are you talking about the pad-stitching (inside the lapel) or the pick-stitching (engl. 'prick-stitching') going around the outside?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Some people claim that hand stitched shoulder seams are more elastic. It has been sorta debunked by a very well respected tailor. Your tailor probably just wants money. Check this out below:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/...wn%20shoulders

It really hasn't been debunked at all. One very fine tailor doesn't know it all. If you were to pull some of the tailors from the grave they could teach him a thing or two that he has never learned. The sewing machine is so quick that some tailors decided that was good enough. Sewing machines are better than in the past, at least some new inventions. As some tailors said from the past is that the two methods produce a different feel from each other, and the feel from the hand sewn coat maybe worth it to you. If you notice no difference, then why pay extra? From one tailor to another this could be different. Of course a hand laid stitch is one that can be controlled different than the one before and after. What is being sewn matters too.

The seam takes stress. But how does it take stress? Lengthwise? What about crosswise or angled? Jeffery answered some questions. But, did he ask all the questions and get answers? Nope!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, another similar question -

I was talking to a new tailor today, and he offered to do a suit with all hand stitching. honestly, I never really thought about that - the suits I have now were made by machine, but made for my measurements, with my fabric and with the details I wanted. I was happy with that. now I am wondering if it is worth the extra to go for complete hand stitching. also, he offered a hybrid - what parts of the suit really make a difference if hand stitched ?

thanks

I would get the shoulders, lapel and collar hand-stitched.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greger
It really hasn't been debunked at all. One very fine tailor doesn't know it all. If you were to pull some of the tailors from the grave they could teach him a thing or two that he has never learned. The sewing machine is so quick that some tailors decided that was good enough. Sewing machines are better than in the past, at least some new inventions. As some tailors said from the past is that the two methods produce a different feel from each other, and the feel from the hand sewn coat maybe worth it to you. If you notice no difference, then why pay extra? From one tailor to another this could be different. Of course a hand laid stitch is one that can be controlled different than the one before and after. What is being sewn matters too.

The seam takes stress. But how does it take stress? Lengthwise? What about crosswise or angled? Jeffery answered some questions. But, did he ask all the questions and get answers? Nope!

I like I said, "sorta". I am not making any conclusions, especially since I don't own any suits with hand stitched shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads