• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hammer Workouts?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or because I still can't believe this **** is called shovelgloving.

http://www.shovelglove.com/

Found it over the course of my search for "mixing it up" with my fitness routine. From what I recall, shoveling **** with a hammer and chopping wood always seemed to be a pretty good workout to me. I don't have space for a ton of strongman ****, but I certainly have some for a decently sized hammer. I think it just looks a bit silly though. Your thoughts?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dude in the pic is not a great endoresment

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that it seems kinda silly. I do like Hammer Strength machines though.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
dude in the pic is not a great endoresment
in the videos he looks marginally more fit. But according to his site he admittedly isn't looking to become an athletic superpower. I'm thinking that if tailored correctly with a heavy enough weight, it could also make something of a fun side workout. Manual labor's pretty tough and guys who cut wood all day are in pretty good shape, and are strong to boot. In grip strength I imagine they'd destroy most bodybuilders.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh yeah for sure. i know a skinny-as-**** dude who can carry two 125lb bags of concrete up a 25 foot ladder. i cvouldn;t do that ****.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You think John Henry worried about PWO nutrition or wave loading? No Sir. He was a steel-drivin' man.

john-henry.jpg

That guy's site is a little silly, but you can get a great work out with a 10 lb hammer and a car tire for banging. If you have the room throw in a wheelbarrow, a couple of hundred pounds of rock, and a tractor tire for flipping and you're good to go.

lefty

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've played with clubbells and hammers before, they are fun especially for adding variety and when you just wanna do something different.. a little more interesting...
ithu51.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see someone destroying their back trying to sledgehammer as fast as possible. All that twisting, your form would go straight to hell.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fedor trains with some weird sledgehammer stuff like this. Of course, he doesn't work out for vanity like most of us. He doesn't even look that muscular.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too fast isn't good.

Anyway, is it weird that **** like that (hammers and maces) is more normal to me now than benching or whatever?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Fedor trains with some weird sledgehammer stuff like this. Of course, he doesn't work out for vanity like most of us. He doesn't even look that muscular.

For a monster though he doesn't look too bad.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I've played with clubbells and hammers before, they are fun especially for adding variety and when you just wanna do something different..

a little more interesting...

ithu51.jpg

that's what I want - my next big purchase is a macebell

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads