• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My bad. I thought you were implying a moving target.
I still would be impressed if someone hit consistently a clay pigeon at 100 yards with a pistol of any caliber.

The competition that I used to shoot was metallic silhouette hunter's class. In rinfire pistol I shot a Ruger slabside MKII open sighted. I was a master class shooter in that game. In centerfire hunter's pistol class I shot an old S&W model 14 K-38 target masterpiece with an 8 3/8 inch barrel open sighted. I jumped between AAA and master class with it. In both classes my typical practice routine would be to shoot golf balls off the tee at 25 meters. At 50 meters it was tennis balls. At 75 and 100 meters I shot at clay pigeons. With the exception of perhaps the turkey target my practice targets were all smaller than the actual target area of the comp targets. This is how I refined my sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow through. It was also fun because the targets were reactive instead of a dead piece of paper. When I was really feeling like a hotshot I would setup my rifle rimfire practice targets and shoot for score.

I also shot hunter's class rimfire rifle scoped as well. My gun for that was an extremely worked over Ruger M-77 22 with a fixed 24 power Leupold target scope sitting on top of it. I was a strong AAA class shooter with it. I did mess around with the hunter's class centerfire rifle a few times and did fairly well with a borrowed gun. I decided three classes was enough so I never really pursued it.

In my younger days I did have a go at the unlimited class of the centerfire handgun competition IHMSA style and for that used a custom bolt action Wichita pistol chambered in 308 Winchester. The furthest target is 200 meters away. With a scope on that gun it was pretty easy to plow those targets. It was not fun pulling the trigger on that thing so my IHMSA career was short lived. LOL!

Long range unsupported precision handgun shooting is my game and I'm good at it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

which one did you order ? I'm looking to get one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N7NQOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I don't like it I'll just return it.

I think I am bitten by the shooting bug. Got to the range at 7:30 this morning which is right when it opens. Shot for 90 minutes and just went into work late. It was pretty windy today. My groups were not as tight, and unsurprisingly, my first few were all to the left of my POA. After I compensated I did get a couple of 10 round groups into 1" squares though. Also, due to the wind, I only did 75 yards today.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still haven't said anything substantive about your background, or why anyone should listen to you when it comes to defensive training.

I answered your question and you just don't like it. That's just too bad. Why should anyone listen to you? Oh that's right you're the combat vet. My credentials have been mentioned before. Have fun cruising the site for a few days. Your problem with me is you don't like the fact that I don't think you possess the knowledge you think you have. I think it's hilarious that you have the audacity to say that I'm rewriting what you say. Guess what genius. I've said the same thing years before you showed up around here. So much for that attack eh? Credentials? That's the game an arrogant asshole plays when they get backed into a corner by someone who just might have a clue.

For someone who says they don't want to continue with the back and forth bantering you sure are doing a piss poor job with that as well. I guess that means you're the troll here as well. Oh wait, that's what you called me. LOL!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyway, you are right about one thing. This back and forth is pointless. You've been called out by several dudes here, so I'll just let it speak for itself. I leave you with this... Don't spout bullshit to people who might end up dead because they took you seriously. That seriously gets my goat. I got no time for someone afraid to mention his background.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Today was a good lesson on what a strong wind will do. I'm sort of hesitant to put this sheet up but I find it interesting on how a bullet will take a flyer when a gust of wind comes up. Don't mock me too badly and this one was from 75 yards. You can really tell when there was a lull in the wind and when there was a gust. I drew those 1" black Sharpie boxes in myself prior to putting the target up as I wanted visual cues for more target areas. As you can see the last one is not shot at as I was getting disgusted at myself.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today was a good lesson on what a strong wind will do. I'm sort of hesitant to put this sheet up but I find it interesting on how a bullet will take a flyer when a gust of wind comes up. Don't mock me too badly and this one was from 75 yards. You can really tell when there was a lull in the wind and when there was a gust. I drew those 1" black Sharpie boxes in myself prior to putting the target up as I wanted visual cues for more target areas. As you can see the last one is not shot at as I was getting disgusted at myself.

Don't beat yourself up too bad over your shooting Piob. Dealing with the wind can be a real *****. Not only does it play with bullet flight it plays with you as well. I would bet you could see the effects of the wind on your body while you were trying to get on target looking through your scope.

Keep shooting you're doing fine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Think I'm going to get a new stock and barrel. Won't be for a bit as I'm going for a bull so will need to change both stock and barrel at the same time and figure that will set me back $4-500 for the two of them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It will over penetrate causing structural damage to your dwelling that could well cause it to collapse. :happy:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about picking up a Glock 19 for home defense.

Thoughts?

I'm a complete noob.

If it's at all possible shoot one first. You might find it doesn't fit your hand or is difficult to manipulate. Since you said you're a complete noob my first inclination is you should be looking at a revolver as your first gun.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I need to get a small, narrow profile revolver. Been thinking of one of those airframes for years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads