• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grenson rose collection

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered today from jacksonshoes a pair of Hedingly in cognac which is in last 107. I was hesitating for something in last 96 (Radle or Ninina) that I read is more similar to CJ 337 (I have a Tavistock). Do you know how these lasts compare (96 vs 107)? I'd like something slicker and I would have jumped on Grenson Elland if available in cognac or dark brown (found the color more versatile).

pitboss12

Reaction score
I have been wearing loakes for a while and am now interested in purchasing Grensons. However, I am wary of differences in fit due to the various lasts.

The weak dollar makes the shipping back and forth to the U.K. associated with trial and error out of th equestion.

Is there a U.S. based online source (excluding e-bay) for Grenson Rose and Rushden shoes?

Thanks.

I posted on another thread that I was holding off due to recession fears, but I figure screw it. If I'm going to get canned, I might as well look good walking out of the building.

couch

Reaction score
The Bath model is to my eye the handsomest Grenson illustrated on Pediwear. Looks to be discontinued. Does anyone know if Grenson Rose models can be special-ordered in narrow (English C) fittings?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really trying to take the plunge into Grenson shoes from the Rose collection, I have wanted a pair for the longest but couldn't justify spending +$200 on shoes.

My wife gave me the green light (as if that helped).

Looking at the Kent in burnt pine & Radley in cognac. Possibly Elland.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I'm really trying to take the plunge into Grenson shoes from the Rose collection, I have wanted a pair for the longest but couldn't justify spending +$200 on shoes. My wife gave me the green light (as if that helped). Looking at the Kent in burnt pine & Radley in cognac. Possibly Elland.
The Radley looks like a "winner" imo. Have been eying a pair to. Tried on a pair of Elands, the last did not apeal to me. And apparently most Roses have a "soft" construction. no heel cap ...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who own Grenson shoes, how would you describe the fit & sizing compared to your other shoes?

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
For those of you who own Grenson shoes, how would you describe the fit & sizing compared to your other shoes?

I have one pair of grensons which are uk 9E (written on panel on inside of shoe 33 107 235 9 E)

These are the best fitting shoes I own, which makes me think they may be slightly smaller or narrower than normal, but only fractionally, less than half a 'normal' size if at all, not enough to recommend sizing up in any way.
I'm normally a UK nine, though slightly on the small/narrow side, one foot being a touch smaller. The last pair of clarks I had was a UK 8.5. I fit a standard 9E in Crockett and Jones and Loake, though these are more noticeably slightly loose on my smaller foot than the Grensons, hence my assumption they fit a touch tighter/smaller.

trailer36

Reaction score
I wanted to add some nice pics of my new Grenson "Headingley" from the Rose collection acquired from Jackson Shoes on ebay UK. Hopefully it will inspire those who have been holding off for whatever reason:

Rose2.jpg

Rose2.jpg

Rose3.jpg

Rose4.jpg

I love these shoes but they seem to fit a 1/2 smaller than US sizes. I am a solid 10D in AE and needed a 9.5F UK. They run somewhat narrow.

trailer36

Reaction score
ha ha, yes i know. I am a bit behind on my polishing regimen. I am actually giving them to a friend because they are 1/2 size too small and I ordered the next size up. They have only been worn once and this is the how they come to you out of the box. I wanted to give everyone a fair representation so they can see exactly what they are getting
smile.gif

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Grenson Rose collection shoes called Salisbury.

They are a basic black cap toe balmoral on the Grenson square toe 96 last.

I really like these shoes, and would say they are very solidly made and a good value for their price.

The leather they are made of is heavier/thicker then my Trickers, C&J, and Cheaney shoes. I would say the Grenson 96 last in an F width (fitting) does run narrower then my other Northhampton shoes. I had to stretch out the ball area of the shoes when they first arrived. However, now they are comfortable. These shoes are really sturdy, and I expect with proper care and rotated in a sizeable shoe rotation, they will last a lifetime.

Jess

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
I would say the Grenson 96 last in an F width (fitting) does run narrower then my other Northhampton shoes.
Jess

Jess

Can you speak to how they compare in width to Loakes, specifically the Norwich (029 last)? I am usually a "D" width in Allen Edmonds but I find the equivalent "F" width in the Loakes to be a little narrower. Are Grensons models on the 96 last even narrower than loakes?

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I have never owned or tried on Loake shoes, so I can't help you with your specific question.

I can say that of all my British shoes, my Grensons are the narrowest, and closest to a US D width. The heel and instep area was a great fit right out of the box, and there was sufficient toe room. I just needed a little extra room in the ball area. The leather of the Grenson Salisbury is heavier than my other shoes. With heavier thicker leather, It is important that the leather is not tight around the ball of one's foot, as that can be rather painful. With thinner softer leather, one can have a tighter fitting ball area, but not with heavier calf skin.

My other British shoes with an F or even an E width, fit like they are somewhere in between a US D and E width. With most of these shoes I wear a somewhat heavier sock. However, with my Grensons, I wear a thinner sock like I wear with my Alden shoes, made on the Copley and Plaza lasts.

Jess

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads