• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goth Revival

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trailerspace6.jpg
A really great scene is cracking loose that I have clumsily branded "Goth Revival" i have hereby appointed myself patron saint and ambassador to the normals for these cats. An excerpt from a a lengthy blog post I recently made: Maybe my favorite of the bunch is California’s Blessure Grave, perhaps the most goth-y. The lof-fi production, Bauhaus just-this-side-of-camp lyrics and ghetto synth are pure black heart joy. I think I deserve soem cred points for being last.fm friends with one of the dudes. HTRK is the most club friendly Sadly the bassist Sean Stewart recently died (I like to think he and Rozz Williams are playing poker and arguing about the Misfits in a faraway land) Much synthier, female vocals and production from Rowland S. Howard…I know, it’s exactly as awesome as it sounds. I might lose some cred points here for admitting that I first noticed them playing on the Barney's playlist when I was still an SA. Cold Cave has been doing it for a little while, fronted by Hardcore darling Wes Eisold with some help from Noise darling (at least from this humble writer) Dom Fernow. Also has Caralee McElroy of Xiu Xiu fame. Also has sick icy synths and a real sense of misanthropy. They are pretty dance-able too Zola Jesus might get super duper for real famous (though Cold Cave already has a radioshack commercial with the tune “Life Magazine”) she is the greatest thing this side of Lady Gaga. Former Ghosts might be more Smiths than Siouxsie but they still rock and have the lovely Ms. Jesus and Xiu Xiu’s Jamie stewart (that band would be all over this scene) This is the msot hook-y of the bunch. Revel in that self-aware pathos and I promsie I won’t bring up Moz. Again. oops. See you hep cats at Club Orpheus. PS I’m still looking for a place to host my “Post Punk’s Not Dead” Night. Half price admission for all black. Free admission for all black, pinroll skinnies and thrift laceups on a cute lady type.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it was 16 years ago I'd have jumped all over this ****....

Was a goth boy in my HS days.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to revive Goth?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Heh. I can't think of any reason. Except, if we could replace all the emo kids with goths, then that would be okay, well, less awful, at least.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Umm have you ever listened to the fantastic music associated with the beginning of the scene? The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Birthday Party, Dead can Dance, Killing Joke, Joy Division, Suicide, Bauhaus, Swans, This Mortal Coil just to name a few? Not to mention early industrial like Coil, Throbbing Gristle, SPK et al?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Umm have you ever listened to the fantastic music associated with the beginning of the scene? The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Birthday Party, Joy Division, Suicide, Bauhaus, Swans, This Mortal Coil just to name a few? Not to mention early industrial like Coil, Throbbing Gristle, SPK et al?
I'll give you that, and Bauhaus is still my favorite band of all time to this day, with SPK right up there behind them (was a bit of a rivethead too)....but.....Cleopatra Records RUINED goth forever. edit: I used to think it was Marilyn Manson and his spooky kid following that ruined goth, but nah, it was Cleopatra. By the time Marilyn came around it was already pretty much finished.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm have you ever listened to the fantastic music associated with the beginning of the scene? The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Birthday Party, Joy Division, Suicide, Bauhaus, Swans, This Mortal Coil just to name a few?

Not to mention early industrial like Coil, Throbbing Gristle, SPK et al?

Bolds = Yes
Italics = No

I just think, like everything, Goth had its season.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything cultural is ruined and gaudy and a horrible capitalist mess now. It all burned to the ground years ago.

No reason we can't have fun playing in the ashes.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guess ya got a point there.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Umm have you ever listened to the fantastic music associated with the beginning of the scene? The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Birthday Party, Joy Division, Suicide, Bauhaus, Swans, This Mortal Coil just to name a few?

Not to mention early industrial like Coil, Throbbing Gristle, SPK et al?

This is the correct answer. Ever hear Econoline Crush, Cabaret Voltaire or King Crimson?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pio, all bullshit aside with me and you, you aren't REALLY trying to imply King Crimson are goth are you? and Cabaret Voltaire was pretty good. Hey anyone remember Projekt Records? LOL And, I'm sure its not lost on anyone that the greatest early goth bands never considered themselves goth
wink.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Music sucks undoubtedly, but goth chicks? Hai dere.

Ill see you at club orpheus, brahgician.

The hot got chick was a myth. At least, in Houston, TX it was. lol

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Pio, all bullshit aside with me and you, you aren't REALLY trying to imply King Crimson are goth are you?

and Cabaret Voltaire was pretty good.

Hey anyone remember Projekt Records? LOL

And, I'm sure its not lost on anyone that the greatest early goth bands never considered themselves goth
wink.gif

Not even close to goth. Magi mentioned early industrial. They certainly fall into that, as well as other things, like progressive.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Not even close to goth. Magi mentioned early industrial. They certainly fall into that, as well as other things, like progressive.

I'd have them pegged as straight up psychadelic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads