• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GOOD jeans with higher, Wrangler-like pockets?

Surfrider

Reaction score
I was born on a horse, and for the first 18 or so years of my life I lived in Wrangler Cowboy Cuts; there is absolutely no other brand or style that doesn't suck when you're sitting in a saddle. Nowadays, my aesthetics having since changed, I may not care for the way Wranglers look (the color is a real deal-breaker), but I miss the fit. Especially the pockets.

I don't get why most jeans have the pockets so low. Sure, most of you folks have never and will never sit in a saddle (where the effect is most noticeable), but no matter if you're sitting on a horse or a park bench, most jeans have you sitting directly *on* your wallet (or whatever else you might have back there)! JHC, this isn't comfortable, I don't care who you are! I can't be the only the only one who has noticed this...?! I dunno, maybe it's because most folks haven't experienced anything different? The mind reels.

Anyway, are there any companies that make good, dry denim jeans that won't cause me to throw my back out if I choose to carry my wallet in my back pocket? :p

Aifia

Reaction score
well i got a slim wallet so its not that uncomfortable

shade449

Reaction score
If color is the only problem, you might wanna try looking up some Japanese repros of Wranglers. I'm sure they'll have some in a similar fit.

Yaz

Reaction score
I think Samurai produces a Wrangler-style jean, sold in the US through Blue in Green. Check it out here...a little pricey however.

sam_0210xj_bk_webz.jpg

entropy kid

Reaction score
Since we're talking about a bit pricey: SE x IH03 at SelfEdge. I guess cycling and horse riding both require that the pockets are moved away from your seat. With the SelfEdge/Ironheart collabo this is achieved by moving them OUTward. PLUS they also have more belt loops in the back like Wranglers to accomodate for the bent over position.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to think anything over $100.00 was pricey, but now I don't really look at jeans as pricey unless they are over $300.00. I'd also recommend you to look at the Wrangler repros, but possibly not buy those and go with one of the pairs entropy recommended.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Blue Bell line? They have the 13MWB (button) and the classic 13MWZ both of which are selvage I believe. You might also look at Lee 1o1z's, they were designed with riding in mind IIRC so they might work and are about on par with the Blue Bells pricepoint wise. I am not sure how you feel about the Levi's 517 but they come unwashed, they aren't selvage and the bootcut is much less subtle than Wranglers would be, but if the fit didnt bother you these could be had for about 10-15 dollars more than a pair of Wranglers in most retailers. I am sure there are plenty of better options I am unaware of.

good luck, let us know what you end up settling on.

danilo

Reaction score
not going to get wallet fade if you don't sit on your wallet
biggrin.gif
I'd get the cyclicst Iron Hearts or the Samurais

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy kid
Since we're talking about a bit pricey: SE x IH03 at SelfEdge....

.....And they're next-to-impossible to bust
smile.gif
They are a great design made in an awesome fabric (21oz Zimbabwe cotton), especially if you still ride. At $380, they may be pricey....but there's not much else around that can touch them, that's for sure.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy kid
I guess cycling and horse riding both require that the pockets are moved away from your seat.
You're absolutely right. Although I don't care for the aesthetics of Wranglers these days (and, too, my boys thank me for the breathing room), I do keep one pair that I break out for riding my horses, both the flesh-and-bone, *and* iron tykes. Though, I'll admit that having your wallet under your ass is not nearly as bad when you're on a padded motorcycle seat. Those Iron Hearts are pretty hot, but damn, that price tag is painful. I mean, I could manage $200 with only some minor sacrifices, but those IHs will be about $400 by the time they get to my door, and for me, that's a *lot* of dough (I'm still in grad school). I'll keep them in the back of my mind, in case I take complete leave of my senses, elect not to eat for a month, or win the lottery. Meanwhile I think I'll look around for some Wrangler repros. Anybody here have personal experience with Wrangler repros, btw?

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Great thread.

I have never been into low pockets either. I'm always paranoid about my wallet (falling out) when I sit down, and sitting on it doesn't help. Thanks for all the ideas stated here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads