• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good authentic ramen

Uomo Di Fretti

Reaction score
This topic may not be up to forum standards but I'm searching for a brand of good authentic Japanese ramen that would be available in most places. I used to have a friend who would make the best meals out of store bought ramen and various types of seared meat. The meat I can handle but all the brands of ramen I've been able to find taste like crap. Any suggestions?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out this site and see if there's something that appeals.

Uomo Di Fretti

Reaction score
There looks to be some really good stuff on there but as there isn't a huge asian community where I live (St. Louis, MO) I'm restricted to the more common styles/brands. I haven't found anything worth eating at the local asian markets. Though there are still a lot I haven't tryed I'd like to prevent having to sample them all to find only a few that are worth a repeat.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uomo Di Fretti
good authentic Japanese ramen that would be available in most places

If you mean most places like Safeway, then they won't carry it. Somewhat authentic ramen is the type which is in the refrigerator aisle in a semi-doughy state, not in a dry pack.

If you are sure your friend made good ramen from an instant dry pack, then I am guessing he just knew how to cook it right. Try cooking the ramen extremely al dente, the difference between done right and overdone instant ramen is about 30 seconds or less.

chas

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Koyo-Ramen-tof.../dp/B000VKA680

Not sure how authentic it is but it is good. It is easy to find in NYC.

269_koyo_foods_ramen_P.jpg

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best pre-packaged ramen I have had is Myojo Chukazanmai. It still is nothing like the real stuff, but it is definitely better than other store bought stuff.

Uomo Di Fretti

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I've at least I've got a few options for the next trip to the asian grocers.

@Tarmac: Any suggestions on brands of refrigerated ramen? I'm almost sure I've seen it at the local asian markets but my friend always stuck to the dry stuff so I'm not sure where to start.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chapagetti is the best. I go through a case a month.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Call me a sick bastard, but I liked that place right to the left of the sweets in the Shinagawa station.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uomo Di Fretti
Thanks for the suggestions, I've at least I've got a few options for the next trip to the asian grocers.

@Tarmac: Any suggestions on brands of refrigerated ramen? I'm almost sure I've seen it at the local asian markets but my friend always stuck to the dry stuff so I'm not sure where to start.

In my experience it doesn't really matter between the refrigerated brands, if you are discriminating you might want to look at the ingredients list, pick something with only a few ingredients.

CutandSew

Reaction score
I personally find the Nong Shim brand from Korea to be quite exceptional. The broth is great, although it can be spicy since it caters to Korean tastes. The text is all in Korean and no english, but you really don't need instructions to make ramen noodles, do you?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutandSew
I personally find the Nong Shim brand from Korea to be quite exceptional. The broth is great, although it can be spicy since it caters to Korean tastes. The text is all in Korean and no english, but you really don't need instructions to make ramen noodles, do you?

About every other month I'll crack open a package of Nong Shim. I usually add a bit of sliced beef if I have some. I used to go full bore on the seasoning but I now use about 4/5 of it. Reminds me of my childhood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics