• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Ankle Boots for Under $200

UTVol085

Reaction score
Recently I've been looking around the 'Web for a good pair of dress shoes and really am kind of at a loss. I'm a college student and was recently lucky enough to stumble upon SF a few month back. Unfortunately my knowledge of fine clothes outweighs the ability to afford them by a huge margin, so no Lobbs or AEs for a few months after graduation. Until then I need a pair of nice dress shoes. After quite a bit of research I've realized I love two things: three piece suits and old-school-style ankle boots.

My "dress shoes" used to have square toes and rubber soles (which most college students wear). I gave those away and only have a pair of Cole Haan round toe oxfords. Before interviewing and whatnot I'd like to get a pair of nice ankle boots that look like dress shoes unless someone knows they're ankle boots (like the Lobb Navy Cutts and lace Jodhpurs. I have some nice light brown Lucchese Ostrich Leg Cowboy boots that have been worn to the ground and are still my favorite shoes, but aren't dressy.

The question is: who makes a pair of decent leather-soled lace-up ankle boots that aren't more than $150-200. After searching everywhere it seems to be a tough find. Does anyone have some suggestions?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$200 retail? Most will be crap, err, a bad value at that price range unfortunately. And with non uber brands there aren't that many good lace boots anyway. You could consider the classic Madison boot by Stacy Adams for a cheap one to hold you over, or save up a bit for something English, or check Yoox/ebay/B&S/etc. for deals.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of it depends on the style you're looking for. Most of the chukka boots have a less "dress shoe-y" appearance than say a chelsea boot (pictured).

40o4dw2.jpg

You'll find many fans of RM Williams boots here, and there's an entire thread dedicated to the different styles/lasts/soles/etc. available on their boots here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179. Also, Allen Edmonds is having a sale at their outlet stores through the 24th and you should be able to pick up the Taunton (which is a chelsea, like the RM Williams boot) that they just discontinued in 07 for under $200. The Taunton comes in black calf, brown calf and brown suede I believe. I think the RM Williams will be closer to $250, but I believe the difference in price is justified.

As for other than chelsea options, aldenshop.com has some brown calf alden chukkas with a rubber sole at a good price, and someone just posted a link to brooks brothers clearing out some suede ankle boots for a little over $200. Also check out Charlestyrwhitt.com. They usually have a couple of options of either chelseas or chukkas - and don't pay their website price. Look around on this site and you'll find (or someone will point you to) a "first time customer" 50% off coupon.

I'm sure someone else can do a better job than I can in filling you in on what's available from some of the odd european makers through pediwear.com or some such site, but be careful if you go that route - shipping from the UK can add $50.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about Bally and J Pliner boots? They are very nice in photos but I have trouble finding them in 9 EEE.

Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
A lot of it depends on the style you're looking for. Most of the chukka boots have a less "dress shoe-y" appearance than say a chelsea boot (pictured).

40o4dw2.jpg

You'll find many fans of RM Williams boots here, and there's an entire thread dedicated to the different styles/lasts/soles/etc. available on their boots here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179. Also, Allen Edmonds is having a sale at their outlet stores through the 24th and you should be able to pick up the Taunton (which is a chelsea, like the RM Williams boot) that they just discontinued in 07 for under $200. The Taunton comes in black calf, brown calf and brown suede I believe. I think the RM Williams will be closer to $250, but I believe the difference in price is justified.

As for other than chelsea options, aldenshop.com has some brown calf alden chukkas with a rubber sole at a good price, and someone just posted a link to brooks brothers clearing out some suede ankle boots for a little over $200. Also check out Charlestyrwhitt.com. They usually have a couple of options of either chelseas or chukkas - and don't pay their website price. Look around on this site and you'll find (or someone will point you to) a "first time customer" 50% off coupon.

I'm sure someone else can do a better job than I can in filling you in on what's available from some of the odd european makers through pediwear.com or some such site, but be careful if you go that route - shipping from the UK can add $50.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Owing to the rain (Melbourne, huh?) I wore my RM Williams 'Forum Specials' today. Damn comfortable boots, I'm putting serious thought into another pair in tan or whiskey in the B555 last.

sammy

Reaction score
johnny_flapjack,
Are those the whiskey color yearling craftsmen? I have them in chestnut and would like to get a another pair in whiskey. Is the sole/heel color brown or black? Can't tell from the photo.

emptym

Reaction score
My concern w/ chelseas is that they wouldn't be supportive enough on long walks. Unfounded?

W/o tax, but w/ shipping these british boots would be just under $200 (They're Goodyear stitched and full-grain leather. I've been lusting after them for a while, but I want them w/ rubber soles):
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=178

If you get them, pls. let me know how you like them.

Coho, I don't think Bally and Pliner are well thought of here. I have an 8 yr old pair of Bally sandals that I love and 3 pairs of Bally shoes that I like, but all were bought at about 80% off.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
What do you guys think about Bally and J Pliner boots?
No.

finch

Reaction score
Under $200 could be tuff? I own these from Fluevog:

zoom.jpg

Also available in brown, cost me $300 and a bit CDN. They do have a couple of styles for $200 and change on clearance.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Speaking from my past experiences with Fluevog's shoes (including that boot), the leather is ****.

For under $200 look on ebay for Allen Edmonds Taunton boot, which was recently discontinued. You should be able to get it for under $175.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
What do you guys think about Bally and J Pliner boots? They are very nice in photos but I have trouble finding them in 9 EEE.

J Pliner is extremely poorly made.

finch

Reaction score
Granted their the only pair I own but I've been happy with them. They've held up real well and this winter has been a pretty rough one to date in Toronto, ON.
Originally Posted by robin
^ Speaking from my past experiences with Fluevog's shoes (including that boot), the leather is ****.

UTVol085

Reaction score
I was thinking something along this stype; with laces (from "Ankle Boot Appreciation" thread). The AE Balmoral is also quite nice looking...

AE's (Brantley's?)

215579975_8eb80ee1ed.jpg

Vintage ones

DSCN0984.jpg

George Webb

Webb.jpg

Fosters version of C&J Avebury II
CIMG1099.jpg

Tiberias

Reaction score
I'll second the recommendation on AE Tauntons; you should be able to get them in your price range. Check e-Bay for your size, there are several pair available for $100-150.

You can also try waiting for the AE lace-ups to show up on e-Bay, but they're rare creatures, I think I've seen only one pair in my size available for sale. Also out there are the AE York, a double zip sided boot, but those are even more rare.

The RM Williams are beauties, but you won't find them for south of $250. And I would also like to know if the ones pictured are in Whiskey? I'm planning on getting the Craftsman in Chestnut, but may end up with two pair.
lookaround.gif

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should be able to find some Trickers @ebay for close that money.
I think eliteforum@bay and the like start Tricker @ 100£ ...

My 2c

Speed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads