• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glasses Advice

GlassesJEP

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I signed up here with sole intent of getting your opinions.

Hopefully no one here recognizes me :/ haha

Anyways, here is a little summary of events:

Recently I have noticed my eyesight has been getting worse and remembered a few years back when I went to a physical the doctor told me I should get checked for glasses. Like every dumb kid (or maybe I was just dumber and lazier at that time, a probably which is now rectified) I didn't want glasses when I thought in my young, ignorant opinion I could see fine. So like I said before these last few weeks I really noticed the strain and went to the eye doctor who subsequently told me I need glasses (a small prescription) but indefinitely and for full time use. For reasons, which I do not feel the need to list I had to buy the glasses at the doctor's office.

The people at the office assured me the glasses were ok but you really always have some doubt. I went home and they said it was ok, I texted pictures to everyone I know as well and they said it's ok. When I saw my friends...well they said it was huge but they really have no sense of style (is that mean? I love them though) so I took it to the streets. While driving on the highway, stuck in traffic I asked people in the cars next to me, I asked people at restaurants (I bought food), Drive Thru's (friends bought food), on the streets outside my business, and basically any woman I saw. The consensus was that the glasses are fine and I told them "give me an honest opinion no matter how critical, even if it's extremely bad or mean".

You might think I'm crazy but I don't have a problem talking to strangers, I just don't accept their candy.

I may have digressed, my apologies.

I would like your humble, honest and unadulterated opinions. I can handle the truth (opinions really).
Here are some pictures of me and I would be extremely grateful if you kept them to yourselves : )

posting.org/gallery/82anb52q/bb69098c/

I am not sure I can post links and I will not try so please if you will put - http:// in front of the link

deadAngle

Reaction score
You've typoed the link - http://postimg.org/gallery/82anb52q/bb69098c/ is what you want. Spellcheck is not your friend for links!

Your prescription doesn't look to be too bad, -2 at the worst. The glasses do look a little large on your face (a 2cm reduction in width would look much nicer). Regardless, it's not too far off kilter to seriously worry about. It's not ideal, no, but the majority of your frenetic asking is because you're not used to the sight of glasses on your own face. They'll never be ideal in your mind, but they'll do just fine until you get your next pair 3-5 years down the line which gives you plenty of time to search for that one ideal pair for your face.

Last edited:

Roger la Rock

Reaction score
I don't mind the shape, large is popular at the moment, but an eyesize down would probably be better.

Horrible reflections in your lenses. I'm guessing this is due to taking the pictures with the camera in your laptop, but did you get an anti-reflective coating on these? If not, I would recommend an AR coat next time.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Far too big to be elegant or fit your face but probably fashionable. The two rarely mix.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads