• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

tjonesd2

Reaction score
Anyone have any Gitman x Ron Herman shirts? They say the shirts are darted--- does this mean they fit slimmer than the usual gbv shirts?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received the Gitman Vintage Sailboats & Seagull shirt in navy from MH, and it seems like the buttons are replaced with greyish plastic buttons (or MOP?). Does anyone know anything about this? When I google the name all the pictures show the shirt with chalk buttons.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received the Gitman Vintage Sailboats & Seagull shirt in navy from MH, and it seems like the buttons are replaced with greyish plastic buttons (or MOP?). Does anyone know anything about this? When I google the name all the pictures show the shirt with chalk buttons. 

Myhabit had both versions of the shirt, retailers can specify buttons so depending on which retailer you may get different buttons

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Post pics. That's interesting, I posted a while back that it looked like plastic buttons in one of the pictures online. I thought they only used chalk buttons.

kentpope

Reaction score

I got the long sleeve Hawaiian print from MH and it also had the dark buttons, which I'd never seen before. I'd take a pic but I ended up returning the shirt.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post pics. That's interesting, I posted a while back that it looked like plastic buttons in one of the pictures online. I thought they only used chalk buttons.
Is it a bad thing that the shirt has plastic buttons? I can't bother to return it, since I don't live in the USA and it would probably cost a lot.

rusticchasm

Reaction score
maybe you can ask GBV customer service to send you some chalk buttons and replace them yourself? pain, i know, but at least you'd have chalk buttons on the shirt

nice shirt, btw

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it a bad thing that the shirt has plastic buttons? I can't bother to return it, since I don't live in the USA and it would probably cost a lot.
That's entirely up to you. Plastic buttons are more prone to breaking and just look cheap to me most of the time. I hate plastic buttons and don't own any shirts with them. On the shirts I've bought that didn't come with them I swapped them myself with chalk, metal, horn, or mother of pearl buttons. I definitely would not return or sell that shirt just because it has plastic buttons. Even having a tailor swap out all the buttons for you would be around $10. As the poster above me mentioned, you can contact Gitman and they will send you complimentary buttons for free. Not sure if they'll do that for other countries though. Also, Ebay and Etsy have a great variety of vintage and imported buttons in all kinds of substances and styles.

Last edited:

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has a consensus been reached on the best way to take in the billowing backs on gitman shirts?

A Large on me is perfect in the chest, arms, length, shoulders (all the important stuff....but the billowing lower back (especially on the oxfords) just annoys the **** out of me.

usher

Reaction score
I just got a Gitman Bros blue oxford from gilt (not 'Vintage' label)

I bought a size Large, but I just tried it on and it's tiny.

The chest is only 20" p2p, and the sleeve cuffs are comically short (sits above wristwatch/bracelet)

Is this common or simply a mislabelling? Did they shrink it on purpose?

I have an unworn sz S gitman vintage oxford that is pretty much the same p2p chest width, but has longer sleeve lengths...

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a mislabel.

I heard regular Gitman is larger than GV, which is more slim cut (yet still boxy)

Last edited:

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has a consensus been reached on the best way to take in the billowing backs on gitman shirts?

A Large on me is perfect in the chest, arms, length, shoulders (all the important stuff....but the billowing lower back (especially on the oxfords) just annoys the **** out of me.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The reason there is extra fabric on the lower part of the shirt is probably due to the back pleat. Back pleats are a sign of a quality shirt because they have added flexibility for your arms. You can tell a cheaply made shirt by the lack of details like back pleats. If you want your clothes to fit tight all over maybe you should buy made to measure or blouses instead.

I find GBV shirts to have less billowing than your run of the mill mall brands because of the tapering torso shape they use. ) (

usher

Reaction score
Sounds like a mislabel.

I heard regular Gitman is larger than GV, which is more slim cut (yet still boxy)
the bastards at gilt changed the description to say 'fits small' after i bought it (thinking exactly as you said, regular Gitman being less slim than the Vintage line)

"Large" was the biggest one they had on offer :/

Leather

Reaction score
I take mine to the tailor and drastically take in the sides. 43" chest and 29" waist so I don't really have a choice

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads