• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting married in 2.5 months. Desperately need suit help.

impact1400

Reaction score
Hello SF Gurus,

I'm getting married in two and a half months. It's an outdoor daytime wedding in Los Angeles. I don't have a suit yet, and I'm coming to you for advice -- I'm desperate!!

I want to wear a medium or dark grey suit. Two button, no vest. I guess charcoal is an appropriate label as well, but I don't want the suit to be so dark that it could look black in photographs or at first glance. Even though it will be hot, I want to get a wool suit and continue to use it as a staple in my wardrobe. I only own one suit now, and it is a blue J. Crew Factory Thompson suit.

My preferred price range for my wedding suit is $650 and under, but willing to spend a bit more if I have to. I'm 6'1 and about 175 lbs, and my jacket size is usually 38 or 39 depending on the cut. 34 x 32 for trousers.

Here are the options I have been thinking of:

1) Buy something online from Suit Supply
2) The Benjamin Classico suit from eHaberdasher: http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-16452/Benjamin-Sartorial-Suit-cln--38R/Detail
3) J Crew Ludlow Suit, although I know it's more modern
4) I'm searching eBay listings frequently, but this option seems difficult and daunting

I know I'm running out of time here, and I'm kind of freaking out. What else can I check out online or in the Los Angeles/Southern California area? Willing to listen to any and all suggestions. Thank you so much!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another wedding thread. Can you not research wedding, graduation, interview suits, they will tell you all you need to know and far more than you will get here in a new thread.

impact1400

Reaction score
Thanks for both of your replies. I did read the main guides before creating this thread. I've lurked here for a while.

I know what I want my wedding attire to consist of, I'm just trying to see if I can get some new ideas about where to look. For example, a user on another forum pointed me to eHaberdasher, which I was previously unfamiliar with. I had no idea a suit like the Benjamin Classico was an option in my price range. I thought I might have similar success here, or maybe even find someone selling exactly what I need.

Anyhow, I'll confess that I did not do the most extensive searching possible before I posted. I promise I will continue to look at previous threads on SF to see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

pendragon

Reaction score
I'd go with any of the first three options, although I might shy away from charcoal. It's fine for work, but rather dull for a summer wedding in LA. How about a light grey?

Jay_Gatsby

Reaction score

Thanks for both of your replies. I did read the main guides before creating this thread. I've lurked here for a while.

I know what I want my wedding attire to consist of, I'm just trying to see if I can get some new ideas about where to look. For example, a user on another forum pointed me to eHaberdasher, which I was previously unfamiliar with. I had no idea a suit like the Benjamin Classico was an option in my price range. I thought I might have similar success here, or maybe even find someone selling exactly what I need.

Anyhow, I'll confess that I did not do the most extensive searching possible before I posted. I promise I will continue to look at previous threads on SF to see what I can come up with.

At this point, I think Suit Supply is your best bet. If you had more time, www.mytailor.com would be a non OTR option within your price range.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At least you didn't say that your bride to be wants you to wear "such and such!"
If she does...RUN!

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd go with any of the first three options, although I might shy away from charcoal. It's fine for work, but rather dull for a summer wedding in LA. How about a light grey?

I'd actually be inclined to go the other way and go for charcoal vs. lighter greys. It is a more formal look that should work for a wedding and IMO looks better with most wedding ties than lighter grey. Light grey might be fine if he's the guest but not so great for his own wedding.

At this point, I think Suit Supply is your best bet. If you had more time, www.mytailor.com would be a non OTR option within your price range.

I agree that Suit Supply is probably his best bet. Prices for MyTailor may be a bit more than he's looking to spend (probably a moot point given the time). A basic suit from VBC will run around $950 plus taxes / duties these days and the cheap ones are going to start at around $800.

cuongtelecoms

Reaction score
I think Suit Supply should be your choice in this case. Ebay is not a good one because you have ony about two months more. Also, try to find a good tailor near you because you may have to alter that suit (and have about 2 weeks to alter that suit).

impact1400

Reaction score
Thanks, all, for your input. I think I'll give Suit Supply a shot. Might order from eHaberdasher also just to have a comparison, and return whichever one isn't a good fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads