• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Bespoke suit

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, .. I sold my old Hugo Boss black pinstripe suit, so I do not have any black pinstripe suits. I was trying to find a nice black pinstripe suit on eBay and I could not find ones that will fit my specification. So far, I found one Attolini suit from Ian, but the size of this suit is 42R, which may be too tight on me and the coat length is inch too long.

So, I am thinking to do a bespoke suit today (a real super fine nice day is making me to do so ..). My concern is the following. If this goes well, I know that I am going be hooked on bespoke suits. I am afraid that I may want to get rid of all of my RTW suits that I recently bought due to "improper fitting" compare to my bespoke suits. Do you guys have such problem or am I over stressing it?

lisapop

Reaction score
Yes, if you click with the right bespoke tailor, there is definitely a danger of replacing everything in your closet with bespoke clothes. If you don't have a trust fund, or if you do but haven't yet come into it, a suggestion might be to start enjoying the taste of cat food in order to support what can grow into a financially crippling, full-fledged bespoke addiction. That is, when you'll be able to afford the cat food
smile.gif
Grayson

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are descending into madness. Relax, take your time, do not get a bespoke suit on a whim. It would be quite ridiculous IMO to go out and get a black pinstripe bespoke suit simply because you have to replace your old black pinstripe suit. It took me a good month and a half to pick the fabric I wanted.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I'd echo these sentiments: be careful. I have a few custom made suits, and more than anything, it has made me see all the ways in which my RTW suits don't fit perfectly.

However, I haven't replaced them all. And I'm not sure that I would, even if I could afford it. Designers are designers for a reason - some of them have cool details or shapes that I wouldn't be able to dictate.

I say do it. I might suggest getting something more classic - you'll want to wear your custom more than any other, and black pinstripes aren't always appropriate. In fact, if you were to ask me (and you didn't), I'd say they're never appropriate. But that's another thread.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
johnnynorman3,

I want to wear this bespoke suit to very special event such as wedding reception or funeral (in this case, I would need to get solid black or very dark charcol).

I have RTW suits that covers range of greys and navies.. The only missing link is black.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, I'm not saying don't get a black pinstripe suit. I'm saying don't get a black pinstripe suit just because you are getting rid of your old one. And I'm saying "take your time."

Considering that you are worrying about the expense of the suit, I also don't know why you will be getting a bespoke suit to attend weddings and/or funerals that you don't even know of yet. Seems to me that if you go to the trouble and expense of getting a bespoke suit, get something that you could wear on regular occassions. Nobody will be examining your appearance at a funeral, and a wedding is such a celebratory atmosphere that people won't likely pay attention to your clothing details. Getting a bespoke suit for special occassions that are not your own is even more a luxury than getting a bespoke suit for ordinary wear.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, bespoke is addictive, especially for jackets. Having said that, I still have some of my old jackets from my RTW days, and a couple of them fit me well and I wear them. Yet they don't give me that satisfaction you get from bespoke: a unique garment made exactly how you wanted. Well, to the nearest available approximation, but still.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Ok, .. I sold my old Hugo Boss black pinstripe suit, so I do not have any black pinstripe suits. I was trying to find a nice black pinstripe suit on eBay and I could not find ones that will fit my specification. So far, I found one Attolini suit from Ian, but the size of this suit is 42R, which may be too tight on me and the coat length is inch too long.

So, I am thinking to do a bespoke suit today (a real super fine nice day is making me to do so ..). My concern is the following. If this goes well, I know that I am going be hooked on bespoke suits. I am afraid that I may want to get rid of all of my RTW suits that I recently bought due to "improper fitting" compare to my bespoke suits. Do you guys have such problem or am I over stressing it?

You've changed you mind about your existing wardrobe - fine but it is no bog deal. Do it over a period as they either wear out/you get tired of any/you can afford to replace them

Millerp

Reaction score
Yikes, the original post is from 2005.
I'm sure the guy made his decision by now.

Taxler

Reaction score
I have clothing decisions I'm still contemplating after 4 years; some longer.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Me too like double-breasted ,tweed and also flannel...
Maybe these projects have not materialized for a very good reason : They have been influenced by groupthinking rather than personal taste...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads