• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CROCKETT & JONES) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, if we are all being honest, Dainite is not a great snow and ice sole either. Yes. Dainite is good in a sustained downpour but it is not (when wet) better on marble or tile than leather. SF is responsible for the plague which is Dainite. It is gospel here that Dainite is a great poor weather sole. Like many things SF, we need not let the facts get in the way of the pictures.

I disagree, I find Dainite to be a great poor weather sole, I find it to be a bad adverse weather sole (as poor as leather, if not even slightly worse on smooth ice). When it is snowy or icy a commando is best. NYC/Boston/London are all really rainy cities, but they don't snow too often without warning, so I find I have a preference for good wet weather soles.
It really is preference though. I've been fine in drizzles with leather soles.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also disagree...my experience with leather versus rubber in general in poor weather is that rubber is superior...and most of my rubber soles are dainite.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree, I find Dainite to be a great poor weather sole, I find it to be a bad adverse weather sole (as poor as leather, if not even slightly worse on smooth ice). When it is snowy or icy a commando is best. NYC/Boston/London are all really rainy cities, but they don't snow too often without warning, so I find I have a preference for good wet weather soles.
It really is preference though. I've been fine in drizzles with leather soles.

I am not sure you noticed, but your post is actually in agreement with mine.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure you noticed, but your post is actually in agreement with mine.
In general yes, but I don't have a problem with Dainite indoors when wet and I do find it to be a great poor weather sole, which your last sentences seem to disagree with. We may have a different definition of "poor weather" though.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mein Gott mimo, those green numbers are astonishsome!

Looks like....green.....shell cordovan?

And it might just be my imagination, but the lining (the printed part) looks to be green too. If it's true, that would be a really nice touch.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes, green shell, apparently a special order for somewhere in Germany. I think they are a fine GMTO candidate, don't you?

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of the scotchgrain captoe boots on the rain last I got from Steve. I haven't been a big fan of grain leather on shoes in the past. These boots changed my mind. The depth of color (which you really can't see in the pics), between the high quality finishing and the grain, is amazing. Thanks for getting me into 'em Steve!

Looking good! They really look great with jeans!

Is Steve MIA? Not usual that he doesn't respond to his emails like this...
sorry Jas0nt, I was just waiting for Carmina factory to respond back. Reply just sent to ya :)
Nice europre! Those 'true' tobacco colors are really hard to capture right?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be a lost cause, but is anyone interested in a GMTO of @LA Guy's gray suede chukka (post #3835) or something similar?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any interest in a single monk GMTO on the Rain last? I'm thinking this

Model: Single monk
Last: Rain
Color: Dark brown (Natur marron) or mid brown (Vegano marron). I'm OK with either.
Sole: JR oak bark leather sole
Buckle: What are the options?

As you can see there's a slight difference between the two single monks above. The difference is where the stitching is located at the sides. I don't know what are the pros and cons with the two, so I guess either is OK with me.

Are there any interested?

Last edited:

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any interest in a single monk GMTO on the Rain last? I'm thinking this

Model: Single monk
Last: Rain
Color: Dark brown (Natur marron) or mid brown (Vegano marron). I'm OK with either.
Sole: JR oak bark leather sole
Buckle: What are the options?

As you can see there's a slight difference between the two single monks above. The difference is where the stitching is located at the sides. I don't know what are the pros and cons with the two, so I guess either is OK with me.

Are there any interested?

Last time I spoke to Betty, she told me that those two green single monks are the new pattern avail for Rain last.
The third picture style pattern is not for Rain.

Also, Carmina does not offer JR soles for non-shell cordovan shoes :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads