• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G&G Woburn vs EG Sandrignham

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Woburn in the MH71 last and the Sandrignham in the 888 last. Any thoughts on which to go for?

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I know the 888 fits fine, but I haven't tried on any G&Gs. I might at Leffot's latest trunk show for them, but I don't think it'll be an issue. My feet are a pretty standard/boring fit and haven't ever had any real issues with fit ever.

artoftime

Reaction score
Have both - they are both a gorgeous last that never fails to please - fit on Woburn and 888 is similar.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
This is the challenge I'm having -- both are really similar shoes. I'm wondering if there is something my untrained eye is missing

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
This is the challenge I'm having -- both are really similar shoes. I'm wondering if there is something my untrained eye is missing

If I had to nitpick the issue, I'd say some people might find the thistle-patterned broguing on the "cheeks" of the Sandringham too busy.
stirpot.gif

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Srynerson
If I had to nitpick the issue, I'd say some people might find the thistle-patterned broguing on the "cheeks" of the Sandringham too busy.
stirpot.gif

There is this and a very slight difference on the eyelet flap's stitching. Might there be a general difference in G&G or EG's finishing or sole thickness etc? I am flummoxed at trying to make a decision.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
There is this and a very slight difference on the eyelet flap's stitching. Might there be a general difference in G&G or EG's finishing or sole thickness etc? I am flummoxed at trying to make a decision.

In terms of sole, you should be able to get the Woburn with a fiddleback waisted sole if you want that feature, whereas I don't know if EG offers that kind of sole design at the RTW/MTO level. Thickness of the basic leather sole for either shoe is probably nearly identical as I've never heard anyone complain that EG or G&G mainline shoes had unusually thick or thin soles.

There was a recent thread debating the quality differences (or lack thereof) between G&G and EG in general that you may want to review here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=228528. My main takeaway from that thread was that G&G, on average, is at least perceived as having slightly better quality construction/materials, but the margin between EG and G&G is very slim.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A strange shoe to put on such a sleek last. Having owned the sandringham on the 202, I really wouldn't put it on an 888.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
A strange shoe to put on such a sleek last. Having owned the sandringham on the 202, I really wouldn't put it on an 888.

I saw it on the Leffot blog and honestly thought it quite lovely, though I do agree that it would be beautiful on the 202 last as well.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
as much i as i love my G&G's i think the EG has this design hands down - win for EG!
blush.gif

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
as much i as i love my G&G's i think the EG has this design hands down - win for EG!
blush.gif

luk-cha, you appear to be one of the resident shoe buffs on the forum. I don't suppose you can shed some light on the differences between the two designs and elaborate a little on this? My eye is not that trained enough I fear.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the John Lobb Paris "Darby", I think it has cleaner lines than the G&G.
5262546487_18b302ee3a.jpg
darbyII_new_gold_museum.jpg

GBer

Reaction score
Have another EG in 888 last. It's not meant for wide feet. It's more narrow than the 202. However that 888 last does look nice.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datoscan