• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuff shirts with breast pocket

Tier1Terrier

Reaction score
So, I guess I don't know that much about style since I went to Brooks Brothers looking for business shirts with french cuffs & breast pocket. They explained to me that french cuffed shirts don't come with breast pockets since they are considered 'formal' and not 'business'. But what about business people who want to dress a little more formally like me? They offered me their made to order shirts but I really don't want to spend $100+ on shirts considering I'm about to do a replenishment of my current wardrobe with up to date (correct) sizing.

I like the fit and feel of the BB non-iron shirts and I would like to find something coparable however I'd like to keep it at or under $60 a shirt. I want french cuffs AND a breast pocket. Any recommendations?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, I guess I don't know that much about style since I went to Brooks Brothers looking for business shirts with french cuffs & breast pocket. They explained to me that french cuffed shirts don't come with breast pockets since they are considered 'formal' and not 'business'. But what about business people who want to dress a little more formally like me? They offered me their made to order shirts but I really don't want to spend $100+ on shirts considering I'm about to do a replenishment of my current wardrobe with up to date (correct) sizing.

I like the fit and feel of the BB non-iron shirts and I would like to find something coparable however I'd like to keep it at or under $60 a shirt. I want french cuffs AND a breast pocket. Any recommendations?

If you are wearing a shirt with French cuffs then you really should be wearing a jacket, which then obviates the need for a shirt pocket. I haven't seen a RTW shirt with French cuffs and a pocket.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Personally I try to avoid pockets on shirts whether dress, business, or casual.

Given that the pocket never gets used (no - it is not a handy receptacle for pens!) then it always seems to me an ugly and unnecessary presence at any level of formality.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I'm moving your thread to menswear advice, where it may get a better reception, and also be of help to other newer members who might have a similar question.

Like Breakaway, I've never seen a RTW shirt with FC and pocket...and I think that is due to the reason he mentioned. If you're wearing a FC shirt, you'll have a jacket on and then there is no need for a pocket because you have pockets on the jacket. Think you'll have to go MTM/MTO if it's something you really want.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In contrast to the above replies, I have a breast pocket on all my shirts except my formal shirts. So yes, I have many french cuff shirts with a breast pockets. However, they are not $60 and they are not non-iron.

Why do I have breast pockets and french cuffs on my shirts? Because I like both a pocket and french cuffs.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally I try to avoid pockets on shirts whether dress, business, or casual.

Given that the pocket never gets used (no - it is not a handy receptacle for pens!) then it always seems to me an ugly and unnecessary presence at any level of formality.

This for me too.

OP should look at Charles Tyrwhitt. IIRC all their business shirts have the option for French cuffs and you pay an extra $10 if you want a pocket.

Matto

Reaction score
I'd second Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts.

I buy all my dress/work shirts from there, and I get french cuffs because I like them. I even wear them without a tie, sometimes with the cuffs rolled back (oh, the humanity!!!). I get them without the pocket, but I understand it's a single checkbox to tick if you want a breast pocket. I've been flying for work more recently, and usually end up wearing just a shirt and vest on the plabe. A breast pocket would come in handy for holding my boarding pass, so I might spring for a couple of pocket versions next.

I can vouch for their non-iron fabrics too. They're not magic, and if you're going somewhere formal you'll want to iron them. But for general work, you'll get more wrinkles from sitting in a car/on the bus on your commute in.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Matto :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads