1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

French cuff shirt (stripes pattern) and no jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by joseanes, Nov 2, 2004.

1. joseanes

joseanes Senior Member

Banana Republic and Calvin Klein have been making shirts in a vertical or biased pattern with french cuffs, ussually in darker colors. They look interesting.

Should you always use a jacket with french cuff shirts?
    Or that only applies to plain, traditional, dress shirts (white, light blue)?

(I know this website dislikes Banana Republic quality. I am just refering to the style as a reference, not necessarily the quality of the shirt or fabric).

2. gregory

gregory Senior Member

In my opinion, it is acceptable in many instances today to wear french cuffed shirts without a jacket. Regarding bias-striped shirts and other unconventional designs, I have always thought that only ridiculously good looking people can pull them off with some amount of decency. One who is not good looking does oneself a favor by sticking to extremely well-tailored/custom/MTM plain clothing. In fact, the ridiculously good looking look even better with well-tailored/custom/MTM plain clothing (like a light blue herringbone with spread collars and french cuffs). The idea here is partly to convey subtlety and taste, but mainly to cause others to commit an attribution error. "Look, he is only wearing a plain blue shirt like every other person, so if what I am seeing looks good, it must be him that looks good and not his clothes that cause him to look good." (Nevermind the fact that the "plain blue shirt" was a $500+ MTM Borrelli) [​IMG]