• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With the pace that Vettel demonstrated, Webber's only chance was an SV DNF. Even with a perfect launch, it's almost certain that SV would have closed the gap at the first stop and taken the lead. Utterly dominant.

The Lotus/Kimi situation is interesting. If they really haven't paid him all year, his continuing to drive for them is a complete refutation of his rep of being in it only for himself.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While its unlikey MW could have staved him off, at least we'd have seen some chase for a while. Also, in clear air SV could run that pace, I'd like to see him do that after being behind a car getting his tires destroyed.

Last edited:

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With the pace that Vettel demonstrated, Webber's only chance was an SV DNF. Even with a perfect launch, it's almost certain that SV would have closed the gap at the first stop and taken the lead. Utterly dominant.

The Lotus/Kimi situation is interesting. If they really haven't paid him all year, his continuing to drive for them is a complete refutation of his rep of being in it only for himself.

Apparently his manager put in a petiton for a winding up order of Lotus (which a creditor can do) , called off at the last minute...
Lotus lawyer saying everything is in hand now...
:slayer:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C'mon, idfnl. You gotta give the man credit when it's due. He mopped the floor with the rest of the drivers on Sunday. As Nigel Roebuck would say, it was a drive from the top drawer. Plus, he raised a metaphorical middle finger to the scolds at the FIA with his second round of doughnuts. Good lad.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, I'm shocked that you have nothing to say about the .8s that Ferrari gave to Fernando in the pits so that he could pass Massa.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

C'mon, idfnl. You gotta give the man credit when it's due. He mopped the floor with the rest of the drivers on Sunday. As Nigel Roebuck would say, it was a drive from the top drawer. Plus, he raised a metaphorical middle finger to the scolds at the FIA with his second round of doughnuts. Good lad.

It was a flawless drive. He has a way of managing the tires that nobody else can match. Of course auto racing is supposed to be about driving the **** out of a car, but that's a different debate.

I liked the donuts too, but unfortunately I'll never forgive him for Multi21.

Also, I'm shocked that you have nothing to say about the .8s that Ferrari gave to Fernando in the pits so that he could pass Massa.

I didn't notice it. Figures.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read this today... I thought it was spot on:

The way the formula is constructed the tyres protect the leading car, and anyone pushing to catch up simply slips back as his tyres degrade.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be fair, whoever's been in second place has typically had plenty of clear air, too...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Move of the day: Bottas on Gutiérrez

For the first time this season, I agree that things have gotten boring. I realized as I was going to bed last night that I hadn't watched quali and knew I hadn't missed anything. And, despite the chance to watch live at a decent hour and take advantage of the live timing online (something I typically enjoy), I watched on DVR two hours late. I guess eight in a row is my limit...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is there anyone who think that "Sebastian Vettel" would not win the 2015 season, if there is one then who can beat him, at the moment he certainly looks unbeatable so I doubt there will be anyone who choose any other winner of 2015 F1 season.

Vettel is the 3rd or even 4th faster driver on the grid. Without that car he'd be nowhere. I'm hoping the rules changes are going to shake things up. In reality F1 is dominated by Newey's design team, not a driver.

To Butch's point, I was doing **** online and watching the race from the corner of my eye. I didn't pay attention to most of it. Vettel was toying with the field, it reminded me of Prost's WC season with Williams... he just managed a lead and won races.

It was boring. The tires are wrecking the racing. Watching Vettel's in-car, he looked like he was cruising around, barely pushing the car. It reminded me of some of Schumacher's dominant races when he was with Ferrari, some of the most boring F1 ever.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vettel is a great driver. He showed well in his debut with BMW, and he won a wet race in a Toro Rosso (essentially a Newey design, but certainly before RBR and Newey hit their stride and began to dominate). He has shown that he can win from in front and overtake to win, too. Great drivers get into the great cars. If he were just a good driver, he'd be like Damon Hill or Jenson Button with a solitary WDC to his name.

Is he the best on the grid right now? Impossible to say, but also irrelevant. He's good enough to win in a car capable of winning. If you put him in the Mercedes, he'd certainly be the equal of Lewis, and in the Ferrari he would undoubtedly keep up with Alonso.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Vettel is a great driver. He showed well in his debut with BMW, and he won a wet race in a Toro Rosso (essentially a Newey design, but certainly before RBR and Newey hit their stride and began to dominate). He has shown that he can win from in front and overtake to win, too. Great drivers get into the great cars. If he were just a good driver, he'd be like Damon Hill or Jenson Button with a solitary WDC to his name.

Is he the best on the grid right now? Impossible to say, but also irrelevant. He's good enough to win in a car capable of winning. If you put him in the Mercedes, he'd certainly be the equal of Lewis, and in the Ferrari he would undoubtedly keep up with Alonso.

I agree, I think my point is he is being given too much credit for being a super-driver. He's not, he's equal to other top guys but no more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads