• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Formal"wear/Tie Colour Help

bimmer35

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums and I had a question.

I am a university student and I will be attending a school-hosted "formal/semi-formal" event, loosely named "Highball." (Pretty sure black/white tie is not required)

I'm planning on wearing my black suit with white shirt but I can't decide which colour tie I should go with. I have a dark blue tie with thick diagonal white stripes but it doesn't look right to me (albeit I am fashionably inept). I have been browsing the web for images and the only colours that I came up with were black, black with stripes, silver and red. I am not a huge fan of any of these except for the black with stripes (too dark?) and the silver (don't know where I would find one). So can anyone give me some suggestions as to what tie colour goes well with a black suit and white shirt?

And another note, although I'm sure a black suit will be quite sufficient for this event, I'm looking for ways to make it a tiny bit more "formal". Perhaps a waistcoat? A pocket square? Any ideas on accessories that I can add to make the suit seem more "formal"?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First check to make sure there is no set dress code, you should be able to find that out (check facebook group, call the organisers or whatever).

I would steer clear of a waistcoat, they are suprisingly hard to get right and can easily make you look like a fool.
A pocket square however is a good idea, a plain white silk one to match your shirt would probably be smartest, but a linen one would be ok to. Alternativly you can get a coloured pocket square that references - but does not match - whatever tie you go with, but probably a white one is easiest.

What is your budget on a new tie? The one you describe is probably fine but I am sure there are other options out there for you.

bimmer35

Reaction score
So yay to the pocket square, nay to the waistcoat? Got it. Thanks for your advice. Where should I be looking for a nice handkerchief? Anywhere or should it be from a shop that specializes in suits?

My budget is tight, (afterall, I am a student) but since I've been meaning to build up my wardrobe anyways and seeing as how I will need to start wearing business attire regularly sooner or later, I can see myself splurging on a nice looking tie. Any colour tips you can give me? I can't think of any colours that go well with black other than black.

Sorry about all the questions... maybe I'm over-analyzing this.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think everyone on the site over analysis, that's kind of the point of it so don't worry about that.

A good silk pocket square should have hand rolled edges, that means it should have a slightly puffed up thin roll all around the edges where it has been rolled onto itself and stitched, so that's something to look out for and a decent indicator of quality. I would think any decent quality mens suit shop should sell you one, as will smarter department stores.
I take it you are in the states? if so Nordstrom's or Brooks Brothers should cover you, I don't really know what you would be looking at price wise, hopefully a US member can help you out with that. If you have time there are some online retailers associated with the forum that should be able to equip you with a good pocket square and tie.

As to the tie, well it is harder to match things with black as it tends to make other colours look garish, that's why many people on the site would recommend not getting a black suit and getting a very dark grey or blue one instead, but you already have one so don't sweat it.
Stick to simple, classic designs - simple "rep" stripes or plain, or plain with dots, what colours to choose slightly depends on what suits you and what you like, don't get a plain black one unless you want to look like a blues brother. You could try holding them up under your head and seeing if they go well with your complexion - I know this sounds stupid but you will find that some colours make you look good and others do not. Its probably safer sticking to slightly muted colours- they don't have to be dark, but something like a bright red is probably not a good idea.

You do really need to be sure there is not a dress code though - formal and semi-formal can both mean black tie in some contexts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads