• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Tuxedo Accessories suggestions

godslayer

Reaction score
So I recently(yesterday) bought my first tuxedo. I have a few black-tie optional events coming up and in my excitement decided to scour eBay for one, I decided on a dark navy Corneliani tuxedo in 60%wool 40% silk. I'm now at the point of needing a bow tie and tuxedo shirt(I have a nice Ermenegildo Zegna white french cuff dress shirt that would work in a pinch(older from Harry Rosen) but would prefer a tuxedo shirt. I want help finding a shirt and bowtie + studs if needed. I want a white shirt, wingtip collar, 1/4-1/2 inch pleats for the shirt and french cuff. For the bow tie, I would like solid black(this should work with a dark navy tuxedo or would dark navy be better?) and I want silk). I don't have any crazy budget constraints, Harry Rosen locally only had tom ford($895) and an Eton one that lacked pleats, In a world of sunshine and rainbows I'd order from my tailor but I doubt I have time for a December 14th arrival, say a $150-200 budget USD for the shirt. For the bow tie, I was looking at Corneliani(165 cad) or Chraveat($250) or Tommy Hilfiger ($25 at the bay lol), I want self-tie and prefer solid black with a moderate amount of texture, I'm ok with a very very subtle design. Probably a $200 max budget but would prefer $100 or thereabouts, I was wondering if there are any classic British brands I should be looking at? Anyways thanks for any potential help, as these items are a little rarer than standard suits and ties I'm having a hard time making my choice. Oh and for those wondering my shoes will be cap toe oxfords in black, probably a pair of Canalis as they are sleeker than my Cheaneys.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a black or midnight blue bow tie. Navy might prove difficult to find. Get it in a material that matches your lapel (satin or grosgrain typically). Carrot and Gibbs has a nice large selection to choose from.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that I get more wear out of my Marcella front formal shirt than my pleated one but YMMV. Eton can often be found on sale or online which would move it well into your desired budget. They do offer several fits which is nice if you have the ability to try several on. If you have until early December you're still in the time frame when you could potentially go MTM (check with the vendors), particularly if you have a specific image in your mind of wingtip collar, specific pleat size and fly-front. Hemrajani has a wing tip, pleated fly-front for 240 with Thomas Mason cloth although a bit narrower than you'd mentioned, ProperCloth has several options that may work at the lower end of your price range. As for accessories my go-to's are my Charvet bow tie and cummerbund but in your price point you could check out Turnbull and Asser or Drakes - Get one that matches your lapel. Black is always a good option. As you're getting accessories don't forget something to cover your waist unless your tuxedo came with a waistcoat.

godslayer

Reaction score
Thank you. Mine came with matching waistcoat. Id like to get a my tailor one(that's honestly my ideal) but I'll check with some of our other vendors. My budget is pretty flexible, just not quite tom ford level.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall mytailor says 3-6 weeks so I'd reach out to them and see what they can do. ProperCloth has always been right around 3-4 weeks for me as well

godslayer

Reaction score
I sent them an email tonight. If they can do it I'll place the order. If not I'll have to look around. OTR dress shirts are hard for me, I have a 17/17.5 neck and have narrow shoulders, this causes a lot of my shirts to be have sleeves that are too long, which results in tailoring that can look bad.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can try one of the mtm places that have a brick and mortar store (like Suit Supply or Proper Cloth) if you live near one. They can probably get you a shirt quicker than an online only place.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get a wing collar shirt. Unless you're prepared to go full detachable, heavily starched collar, a turn-down collar will always look better. The reason is that an attached wing collar will collapse under a bow tie. It simply isn't stiff enough to hold up. It will not look as good as you think it will.

Gekko Sr

Reaction score
If you haven't resolved your issue.
Shirt: Option 1 Chervet Detachable Collar / Option 2 (Closer to Your Budget) Turnbull & Asser Turn-Down Collar
Bow Tie: Option 1 See if Cornelian has an exact lapel match / Option 2 Chervet closest lapel match possible

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads