• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit Questions -Advice Please-

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm new here so I want to apologize first hand if this post is in the incorrect place. Also- i'm sure this question has already been beat to death but i'm genuinely in need of some good advice,

The time has come to purchase my first suit. I'm a sophomore in college and (hopefully) will have some upcoming internships and such. I could put it off for longer but I've noticed several stores having sales on suits for Black Friday so I think it is a good time to "pull the trigger".

I'm leaning towards a navy color, mainly for the versatility. I'm 6'2 180 so I will definitely be shopping for something slim.

My questions for you; Is navy a wise choice of color for my first suit? If not what are your suggestions? Also, what brands would you suggest? I noticed Joseph A Bank has suits for under $200, but with some reading it sounds as if they will not fit my body type well. (I do however, plan on getting whatever I purchase tailored) I'm your average poor college kid doing this on my own, and $200 is the ideal price range. Can anyone offer some alternatives to JAB that are worth shopping in this price range?

TLDR; Poor college kid, need your advice on first suit around $200. 6'2 180.

I appreciate all advice and feedback.

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try using search this subject is raised twice a week and you will learn more than is ever likely to be repeated in yet another thread. Students used to be capable of research, these days it seems not.

There is one similar thread on this page alone.

Last edited:

CTLION

Reaction score
Navy is the way to go for a first suit. Agreed on all points. Don't spend a fortune but pay attention to how the suit fits you. Too many people where their suits too large and no matter how pressed you look it still looks sloppy.

I would look at navy suits on this site and on the web to find the look which best speaks to you. Then find the shoes, shirt and tie that work.

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
GBR; You're right and I apologize. However there is no need to be rude. I'm unfamiliar with the format of these forums, they are a little unusual.

Are there any other Black Friday sales going on for suits that I should know about?

CTLION

Reaction score

GBR; You're right and I apologize. However there is no need to be rude. I'm unfamiliar with the format of these forums, they are a little unusual.

Are there any other Black Friday sales going on for suits that I should know about?

He's just mad because GBR is no longer getting their taxes on tea. You are fine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics