• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit for work

sydneyboy

Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase.

Now that you are no longer a suit virgin and presuming that the suit fits you properly you will have a set of measurements to work with. I would suggest you can now comfortably purchase from ebay from one of the many professional vendors, who are often sf members as well.

You should be able to purchase a pre-owned quality brand, zegna, canali, belvest etc. for less than $250. For a basic suit to wear to work thee are any number of Hugo Boss for under $150.

Take measurements for your shirt and do the same, with some judicious purchases you will have a wardrobe to be proud of for well under $1k

doodledoc

Reaction score

Now that you are no longer a suit virgin and presuming that the suit fits you properly you will have a set of measurements to work with. I would suggest you can now comfortably purchase from ebay from one of the many professional vendors, who are often sf members as well.

You should be able to purchase a pre-owned quality brand, zegna, canali, belvest etc. for less than $250. For a basic suit to wear to work thee are any number of Hugo Boss for under $150.

Take measurements for your shirt and do the same, with some judicious purchases you will have a wardrobe to be proud of for well under $1k

Unfortunately, not quite. I tried on my suit again and now I realize there is a dimple on my shoulders. While the suit jacket is comfortable on my shoulder, it appears to be too small. Unfortunately, I altered the suit while I was there so I am not sure if I will be able to return it.

I want to say that I like the suit. I'm happy with it, even with the dimple on the shoulder (after all, I'm generally not going to leave my hands perfectly parallel to my body while wearing the suit). That being said, it's a little more modern than I would like with the slimmer lapels and slightly short body. The suit still looks good on me though!

I am also the heaviest I've been ever. Once I lose weight, it may fit my shoulders better.

doodledoc

Reaction score

Btw, how do I go finding measurements from a suit? I"m not sure if this is allowed, but ask andy has a tutorial. Is it any good?

http://askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/how-to-measure-a-jacket/

sydneyboy

Reaction score
Yes, thar explains things, so now measure your suit and make any allowances where you might prefer slightly different measurements and go into the mrkrtplace inthis website and start looking.

Do ebay search by brand and go into the desription tab for each item and they should have the measuremnts. Good luck.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should be able to purchase a pre-owned   quality  brand, zegna, canali, belvest etc. for less than  $250. For a basic suit to wear to work thee are any number of Hugo Boss for under $150.

As you rightly observed in your first posts in this thread, stay away from online purchases and completely avoid second hand goods: Those you cannot even return.

Stick to bricks and mortar stores and you will be fine.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I intended to buy suits for daily wear on that budget, I'd go to Saks Off 5th (Saks outlet) and buy their house brand.

Last edited:

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Unfortunately, not quite. I tried on my suit again and now I realize there is a dimple on my shoulders. While the suit jacket is comfortable on my shoulder, it appears to be too small. Unfortunately, I altered the suit while I was there so I am not sure if I will be able to return it.

I want to say that I like the suit. I'm happy with it, even with the dimple on the shoulder (after all, I'm generally not going to leave my hands perfectly parallel to my body while wearing the suit). That being said, it's a little more modern than I would like with the slimmer lapels and slightly short body. The suit still looks good on me though!

I am also the heaviest I've been ever. Once I lose weight, it may fit my shoulders better.

I dont know the discount store scene in LA but my advice would be to find heavy discount outlets and always purchase suits that are new. For the first two or three suits try to stick to the very classical, which would be broader lapels than that suit, two-buttons, charcoal (preferably) or navy, no stripes. Zegna could be an option if you find a store with great discounts; otherwise it would be very expensive. Hugo Boss is not one of my favourites. Try also Pal Zileri, which is a great brand with really good quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads