• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit EVER! Need for an interview

GuP

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - this is the best advice I have ever gotten on clothes!!

So far I am going to go for a navy suit, with a white? shirt, a solid color (red,navy blue?) tie and AE Park Avenue shoes with socks that match the suit color.

I need the suit in about 4-5ish weeks.

I am still a little perplexed about which store I should go to for the purchase. You guys say NAY to brooks brothers - is there a particular reason or just because its brooks brothers? Maybe I can purchase from there and take it to a tailor to get it "fixed"? The LS Mens clothing that tdbake mentioned in NYC sounds like a good place to go. Does the brand of the suit matter i.e. Hickey Freeman vs. Zegna vs. Armani or should I overlook the brand and strictly pick the best color and fit? ALso, since I don't know much about suits and fits, is there a tailor I could visit in NYC after I purchase who would just kinda know what to do w/o instructions and won't charge me a fortune? I don't want to sound like a clown when telling him about alterations.

What are the thoughts on pinstripes? Way or no way at a conservative interview?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got a budget of 1200 +/- 200 (all told) in NYC. Should be fine with all the discount outlets you have over there.

I will add that navy suit, white shirt, red tie is the Republican uniform; but you think you'll be interviewed by conservative doctors... Your call. I'd go with a different less played out look.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C21 has gray Isaias 130s in, as of last week. The navy ones didn't last long. They have basted sleeves, so figure another $40 for alterations and buttons. They are great suits.

If you're going to C21, go to the Brooks Brother around the corner for a tie. I'd prefer to see you in a small pattern or striped tie, than in a plain one - you need something to break up the plain suit/plain shirt. And red maybe too much in an interview.

Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
Last time I was at Century21, they had a rack of Isaia suits for $1000. They may be picked over by now, as it was a couple of weeks ago. But they had more than a few simple navy 3-2-roll suits with flat front trousers, in a medium-weight, hard-finish wool. I didn't really notice the type of fabric as I just glanced at them.

Good luck on your interview. You've got a lot of experienced help with your wardrobe here.

GuP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
You've got a budget of 1200 +/- 200 (all told) in NYC. Should be fine with all the discount outlets you have over there.

I will add that navy suit, white shirt, red tie is the Republican uniform; but you think you'll be interviewed by conservative doctors... Your call. I'd go with a different less played out look.

You think? What do you recommend personally? I was kinda thinking about standing out a little but nothing to make heads turn ya know.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pinstripes. Charcoal or navy (probably best), those are your choices. I suggested you not go to Brooks Bros. because with the way you described your build I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a cut that works for you (BB is known for their sacks). And with your budget you don't have to go there and buy on sale to get a good value, there are bunch of suits to be had in that price range that would fit you better off the rack.

GuP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
No pinstripes. Charcoal or navy (probably best), those are your choices. I suggested you not go to Brooks Bros. because with the way you described your build I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a cut that works for you (BB is known for their sacks). And with your budget you don't have to go there and buy on sale to get a good value, there are bunch of suits to be had in that price range that would fit you better off the rack.

Can you recommend some brands? I spent all of last weekend shopping in big retail stores and it was frustrating. I tried on Joesph Abboud (39R), Canali (40R), Z. Zegna (40R), Armani (40R), Hugo Boss - i think Red Label (40R). These were all off the rack and the ones that fit the best were the Armani and the Joseph Abboud. I was a little confused about which brand to go after - since I am going to get it altered anyway, does it matter really? Also, which other brands should be fitting for my build and budget?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP
Can you recommend some brands? I spent all of last weekend shopping in big retail stores and it was frustrating. I tried on Joesph Abboud (39R), Canali (40R), Z. Zegna (40R), Armani (40R), Hugo Boss - i think Red Label (40R). These were all off the rack and the ones that fit the best were the Armani and the Joseph Abboud. I was a little confused about which brand to go after - since I am going to get it altered anyway, does it matter really? Also, which other brands should be fitting for my build and budget?

I can't, but some of the other very knowledgeable SFers should have have no trouble giving you a few brands (they have already if you read closely enough, though you may not have heard of them).

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP
You think? What do you recommend personally? I was kinda thinking about standing out a little but nothing to make heads turn ya know.

the absolute last thing u want in an interview is to stand out because of what you're wearing. the key in terms of looks at an interview is to look like you belong; the suit fits, it's a solid navy or solid charcoal, white or blue dress shirt, and and deep red or navy tie.

what you want standing out is you. not your clothes.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP

With the exception of Canali, I would run from all of those brands. Brands are usually a surefire way to spend the most to get the least amount of value. A large portion of the proceeds of the sale go to advertising and not to making the suit and resultingly, the suits are fused and of dubious quality at full price.

You should not be thinking of a brand. Present yourself at Brooks or Jos Bank and find a solid charcoal or navy suit. You should be able to do fine with your budget at NYC. You can also go to the discount locations mentioned above, but solid suits are such a staple, that very few make it to the outlets.

GuP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
With the exception of Canali, I would run from all of those brands. Brands are usually a surefire way to spend the most to get the least amount of value. A large portion of the proceeds of the sale go to advertising and not to making the suit and resultingly, the suits are fused and of dubious quality at full price.

You should not be thinking of a brand. Present yourself at Brooks or Jos Bank and find a solid charcoal or navy suit. You should be able to do fine with your budget at NYC. You can also go to the discount locations mentioned above, but solid suits are such a staple, that very few make it to the outlets.

Thanks. A couple of other members stated to stay away from Brooks Brothers b/c of my build and the way they have their cuts. I don't know where Jos Bank store is in the city. Is BB ok then b/c I am going to get it altered anyway?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Hickey is a pretty good bang for the buck, though finding one with flat front trousers can be hard sometimes. I think it's about the lowest retail price of a full canvased suit you find in a place like NY. For your first suit, I would go to a big store (or the brand's own store) because you really don't know exactly what you want in suits yet. Working with your own tailor can be frustrating if you don't have a really good idea of what you want the final suit to look like, so if it were me, and I had $1,200, I'd go to the Hickey store, or Saks and look around, starting with anything on sale.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
pick the jacket that fits in the shoulders. the rest of it gets altered.
when being fitted wear a dress shirt. and dress shoes. pull up the trousers so that the crotch comes up high instead of sagging. tuck in the shirt. put your belt in the loops and buckle it up. the tailor can only do a good job if you co operate.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no solid ties, please! Solid ties are more formal, and are usually better worn once you HAVE the job. Also, if not of the highest quality they look cheap and gimmicky/ donald trump wanna-be. I highly recommend striped conservative ties, or a woven small pattern like navy with silver or light blue dots.

Again, recommend you skimp a little on the suit and spend more on the things to go with it-- imperative that the shoes, shirts, ties be of good quality. Best way to spend your money, in my opinion. By doing so, you can spend a little more on these items, and maybe throw in a decent but not flashy steel wristwatch, a decent black leather wallet, etc.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this means:

When you put the jacket on, the padding should extend over your shoulder by a very small amount. That's the shoulder, and it's the absolute minimum criterion, as it's very expensive and difficult to alter. Next, find one where the bottom of the jacket covers your butt, with no more than 1/2 in to spare. That's the length. If you've got more than one option to choose at that point, try closing the jacket with the top button on a two-button or the middle button on a three-button. The one that has the least amount of space inside the jacket with the button closed is going to require the least alteration.

As for the pants, pick the one with the waist that fits you best when the pants are high enough that there's only a little room in the crotch. This is important - suit pants are designed to be worn closer to your navel than to your hips. The ones that have the least space at the back of the waist are the best fitting, and will require the least alteration.

Hope that's clear.

Originally Posted by a tailor
pick the jacket that fits in the shoulders. the rest of it gets altered.
when being fitted wear a dress shirt. and dress shoes. pull up the trousers so that the crotch comes up high instead of sagging. tuck in the shirt. put your belt in the loops and buckle it up. the tailor can only do a good job if you co operate.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
no solid ties, please! Solid ties are more formal, and are usually better worn once you HAVE the job. Also, if not of the highest quality they look cheap and gimmicky/ donald trump wanna-be. I highly recommend striped conservative ties, or a woven small pattern like navy with silver or light blue dots.

Again, recommend you skimp a little on the suit and spend more on the things to go with it-- imperative that the shoes, shirts, ties be of good quality. Best way to spend your money, in my opinion. By doing so, you can spend a little more on these items, and maybe throw in a decent but not flashy steel wristwatch, a decent black leather wallet, etc.

+1 on the accessories. You're unlikely to pull out your wallet in an interview, but if you do, the last thing you want to have to do is pull open velcro...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads