• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Savile Row bespoke

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try the cheaper Huntsman bespoke. All of the cutting and tailoring is done by a Huntsman cutter but the construction is done in China (I think). Normal Huntsman bespoke starts at like 5000GBP+ while the cheaper bespoke starts at 3500GBP.

Richard Anderson at this point is nearly as expensive as Huntsman.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall when Hitchcock chastised me for supposedly telling someone s/he could photograph my clothing in progress. I haven't a clue who that would have been, don't recall doing it. But when you are on Style Forum or Ask Andy ... anything can and often does happen. Hitchcock informed me that A&S was all about discretion and accommodating my request could RUIN them. I informed him I hadn't a clue what he was talking about, but he never apologized. He let me know he wasn't happy about my references to them on the Internet. Sadly, that brought them customers after the decline had begun.

After that incident, I never returned. Nothing lost. By that time, I wasn't happy with the results.

I was surprised when John rose to the level he did. My memory of him from earlier days never saw him in that position. Halsey, I understood. John just didn't have the same sense of style.

Hitchcock Sr. seems to have been an old fashioned gent at business. Old fashioned in the sense of following rules from earlier times when those rules made kind of sense in order to succeed but applied in his times were counterproductive. Although if he wasn't confident about the outcome of his work I can understand. Thinking about Manton's thread and its consequences. What was the impact of it?

The son seems to have a very different mindset, though.

Thank you for sharing the anecdote.

MontyChapman

Reaction score
You can try the cheaper Huntsman bespoke. All of the cutting and tailoring is done by a Huntsman cutter but the construction is done in China (I think). Normal Huntsman bespoke starts at like 5000GBP+ while the cheaper bespoke starts at 3500GBP.

I viewed Huntsman as always a bit of a leader in the "on-the-side" business. They have a very popular RTW range (from Italy??) and it's actually pretty smart (both aesthetically and economically) in a way. A lot of London bankers and city professionals buy Huntsman RTW rather than their bespoke range. I suppose a good way to keep the business afloat during difficult times. I haven't heard of anyone buying their actual bespoke in recent years. To be frank, their online RTW range is pretty expensive IMHO.

I bought myself x4 1980s Huntsman bespoke vintages (all at a good expense). The combined price doesn't even equal the cost of a single new Huntsman cheap bespoke. I'm looking forward to receiving them; they're still in transit.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of the structured Huntsman's style, but how can you like a certain tailoring style if you have only seen 3 or 4 examples of such style and half of them are of an outrageous 4 piece country suit commissioned by a style blogger?

Recently, an ex-Huntsman Japanese tailor/cutter set up on his own and started posting a fair amount of his own work on Instagram. It looks really good and I'd say, after being in this forum for some years already, that many users would think of Huntsman very differently if they would be able to see current pieces in person or photographed properly.

Most Savile Row tailor's blogs or Instagram accounts are not only uninspiring but even discouraging.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of the structured Huntsman's style, but how can you like a certain tailoring style if you have only seen 3 or 4 examples of such style and half of them are of an outrageous 4 piece country suit commissioned by a style blogger?

Recently, an ex-Huntsman Japanese tailor/cutter set up on his own and started posting a fair amount of his own work on Instagram. It looks really good and I'd say, after being in this forum for some years already, that many users would think of Huntsman very differently if they would be able to see current pieces in person or photographed properly.

Most Savile Row tailor's blogs or Instagram accounts are not only uninspiring but even discouraging.
Link to the ex huntsman cutter’s Instagram please.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If what you’re saying is accurate, it’s insane! Anyone seriously in the market for a suit costing £3500 would surely have the means to pay the full £5000 and forgo compromising.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If what you’re saying is accurate, it’s insane! Anyone seriously in the market for a suit costing £3500 would surely have the means to pay the full £5000 and forgo compromising.
We’re talking nearly 40% upcharge to be made in London. That’s nothing to scoff at

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We’re talking nearly 40% upcharge to be made in London. That’s nothing to scoff at

I’m not arguing the math. I’m just saying that someone who can afford to drop £3500 on a suit can certainly afford £5000 just as easily. Otherwise, what’s the point of bespoke?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I’m not arguing the math. I’m just saying that someone who can afford to drop £3500 on a suit can certainly afford £5000 just as easily. Otherwise, what’s the point of bespoke?

Cheaper=more suits.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I would beg to differ. At 3 500 GBP a pop, 7 000 GBP will (almost) get you three suits. At 5 000, you must spend twice as much. Or four suits for 14 k GBP, only three for 15 K. Basic arithmetic, I know, but significant when building up a reasonable wardrobe. As dieworkwear so justly put it, the point is not to spend more money.

Over the years, my goal has been to have enough clothes to cover most occasions, in most weather conditions, and be correctly dressed. I am glad I started early because I can’t afford current SR prices…

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s some content I don’t see so I don’t know what everyone has posted.

At £3500 a pop, that’s pretty rarified air. If you’re spending that much on one suit, saving money should not be your biggest concern. At least, not the sums we are discussing.

If it is a concern, I would submit you really shouldn’t be spending that kind of cash on one suit.

This is my opinion. I’m no one else’s keeper let alone accountant.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
proflex