• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of shell cordovan shoes

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
I'm a proud owner of a pair of AE Bancroft shoes (thanks interlockingny!). I realize that creme waxes and paste waxes are not the best thing for shell cordovan. Where can I get waxes and polishes that are formulated for shell cordovan (brick-and-mortar stores preferred)?

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
If you are talking about the black ones that have been for sale for a while in the B&S, just use normal kiwi parade black... Make sure you only use a very small amount and don't polish often.

Kiwi Parade Gloss has silicone in it. I don't feel comfortable using it on my AE shoes. I would use it on my J&M cap toe shoes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wax, used sparingly and rarely, is recommended by many shoe companies for shell. I've used it for several years with great success.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have cared for shell cordovan for years and years as I do any other pair of shoes with no ill effects. My father swears by polishing his shell cordovan shoes after each wearing, and they are some of the shiniest I have ever seen (with no gunky buildup). It's all about thin layers.

mg428

Reaction score
One of our friends, JayJay, recommends something called cordovan cream sold by Allen Edmonds. He says it is better than regular cream and regular wax.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP,

Don't use too much cream or polish. I don't use any of that anymore as shells do not take it any of it. Just get a stiff horsehair brush and brush like hell till it shines the way you like. Beware, you might get hooked to shells and there is no return after that
smile.gif

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of shells and I brush them vigorously before wearing, and always use moisturizer and brush after wearing, and yet whenever I wear them they lose their shine by 2-3 pm and end up looking kind of dull. If this is normal, I really don't understand the shell attraction. Yes, they are indestructible and can be worn in the rain, but mine, at least, don't seem as attractive as my regular calf. Is there some trick?

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
There only one more pair of shell cordovan shoes I covet:

958(1).jpg

OMGPONIES! Look at the perf detailing!! Especially next to the bottom lace hole. I haven't seen detailing like that since Hanover were making perf cap-toe semi-brogue Bluchers. Hanover has been out of business for more than a decade.

I can think of at least five outfits I can wear those Alden's with.
inlove.gif

... sorry, I get easily distracted by this stuff ...

I just buffed my new AE's with my hand-held battery-powered buffer. They look sharp! How long can I expect them to keep a shine?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads