• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson vintage mackinaw cruiser

Jbird91

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how old this by the tag?

Attachments

• 20201225_073936.jpg
    20201225_073936.jpg
    966.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 20201225_073925.jpg
    20201225_073925.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 258

Tseg

Reaction score
I just acquired a very similar Cruiser... mine was listed as "Black" but when it arrived it was a very dark green. Your green looks lighter, but may just be the lighting.

My understanding is the tag stated "Union Made" during some of the 50's and 60's. I also understand beginning ~1990 they started to use a "100% Wool" side tag with a triangular wool logo. One other thing to confirm is that behind all the snaps but the pencil pocket snap there should be a little flap of tin cloth for reinforcement. The 2000's Cruiser now uses an extra patch of wool for reinforcement instead of the tin cloth.

The biggest difference between this and mine is yours has 4 pencil slots, mine has 3. I had been thinking mine likely was from the 70's or 80's. My center pencil slot is blocked off by the snap in the center slot. Based on some web searching it looks like the 4 slot pocket is older. I saw an example listed as "50's" with Union Made and no pencil slots. I saw another listed as "50's" with 4 pencil slots, but could not read tag closely. I saw one from the 40's and the snaps had gold leaf lettering, 4 pencil slots and a little change pocket or watch pocket on top of the bottom left pocket. I saw a 90's one with no pencil slots and the "100% Wool" triangular logo. I did see one listed as early 2000's with 3 pencil slots, but the main label had the red stitching going right through the text on the edges and the white label below was longer with more content, like "100% virgin wool" and "style 100" instead of lot 110. I saw a 60's one with Union Made and 4 pencil slots. Anyway, you get the point, lots of variants over time. If I had to guess, I'm thinking yours may be 70's and mine may be 80's after doing this extra searching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads