• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feedback please on fit of my first MTM Mytailor.com

Coburn

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Last march I met with Joe Hemrajani here in Seattle. I ordered a suit and a single MTM shirt. I'll meet Joe for the second time on June 20. I plan to order a second shirt and a single odd trouser.
I will also ask him for some alterations on the suit.

Please help me dial in my measurements for the next shirt and trousers; and help me determine what alterations are needed in the suit.

The shirt is a blue button down laundered three times. The suit has been pressed but not dry cleaned.

The shirt was $89: my tailor fabric code F57416. The suit is a Grey Plain Super 120 Solid Vitale Barberis Canonico and was $799. In the photos with the suit, I'm wearing a BB and LE spread collar. The MTM button down is in the pictures without the tie.

My observations:
It is not apparent in the photos but the waist is too big. In the photos I have to hitch them up and snap the picture quickly as they will begin sliding down. Beyond that, I think I would prefer to have narrower legs. What do you think?

I think the shirt sleeve is two long but I don't know if the sleeve should be shortened or the cuff tightened. It feels as if there is excessive fabric at the waist, arm and the junction of the shoulder/arm/torso. I'm not sure which dimension should be reduced to correct this.

I'm very concerned about the jacket. It feels voluminous everywhere but, I'm not sure how to articulate this to Joe H. There are some obvious issues, the vertical folds on the back, horizontal folds on the upper arms. I not sure about the fit on the shirt collar. Also, there is a crease at the middle button.

But, beyond that, I feel as if there is two much fabric on the side of the chest under the arms, the waist feels too loose and I think, perhaps, the flare of the skirt below the waist is too much. I think it makes my hips look wide. I'm a pretty fit man, 5 9 and 150 pounds. But these issues I just mentioned, seem to obscure my physique rather then enhance it.

I value your opinions and appreciate any comments big or small.

Regards
Coburn

Falstaff

Reaction score
I think this looks pretty good. Significantly better than my first suit from Hemrajani.

Coburn

Reaction score
Hi Falstaff
Thanks for the reponse.

In rereading my post I think it comes across as too negative. My experience with Joe H was very positive.

Later in the year, I plan on ordering a half dozen shirts, odd trousers and another suit. I focused on the negatives because I want to get the fit correct so I can place those orders.

Regards

bamaster

Reaction score
I love it. I'm taking note of that suit fabric.

My untrained eye doesn't see any extra volume in the jacket. It looks like it fits.

Midnight Blue

Reaction score
In general I think it looks pretty good. Love the fabric.

The only negative things that really stood out for me was the bunching in the back of the legs - the trouser should hang straight from the seat down to the shoe. Also, the bottom of the lapels seem to stick out quite a bit from the chest.

I see what you mean about the skirt. Seems to me that a jacket skirt should be the same width as the trouser hips to effect a seamless transition from top to bottom.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Overall I think it looks ok, nothing glaringly wrong, but nothing amazingly "right"/interesting either. It looks pretty non-descript if anything, a decently-good fitting everyday normal suit.

Some small critique points: (take a with a pinch of salt as I'm sure others with more experience can chime in)

I think the shoulders should/could be a bit narrower, especially when you move your arms the overhang becomes obvious. I think they need to come in, especially along the back.

Needs to be tightened up across the back area, which will give the body more definition. Although may need to be let out a bit in the middle of the top of the shoulder/back area.
In the second picture, either the pants are sitting quite high, or the jacket is a bit long, but still overall it looks good.
The legs could go narrower but I think they're actually ok. They seem in proportion to the jacket and if you're sort of aged late 40's to 50's, I think going too skinny looks too yonge and trendy.

For the Shirt:
The arms might be a bit too long, but I'd actually make the shoulders a half inch (both sides) shorter instead, then maybe a bit off the sleeves.
Also, maybe a bit too wide around the shoulders and waist. Not for the tight fit, but still, a bit slimmer could be good.

Hope that helps

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good but I thought the jacket "piulled" when buttoned. But it could be something else too.

BRITINLA

Reaction score
Looks pretty good I agree the pants need to be slimmed down. Did you specify the width of the lapels, the gorge?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to tell from your photos, but the suit arm holes may be a bit too big and/or too low. Not a bad suit, however.

Twotone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads